Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Power outages and Sewing Machines >

Power outages and Sewing Machines

Power outages and Sewing Machines

Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
I good surge protector will absolutely protect your machine. And I don't mean a $25.00 power strip you buy at WalMart...go to Best Buy or one of the electronics stores and buy the kind they use to protect computers. It'll be expensive, but well worth not burning up your computer boards in your machines.

You can also order online from Frye's. They have GREAT prices and all things electronic you would ever need!!!
I agree with getting a good one. Mine was around $100, but it has a backup battery so if you are embroidering, you can jot down the stitch number you are at before you power down. We've lost power about 4-5 times today, which is pretty unusual.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM

we have a whole house surge protecter and it works very well!

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I saw on one of the HGTV remodeling shows that you can get a whole house surge protector. But the homeowner also used smaller ones for their more expensive electronics. The other poster is correct about the insurance. Standard insurance does not cover expensive items. Check with your agent.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

We have a whole house surge protector purchased through our electric co-op. I also have a UPS that I used to use on my destop computer that I now use for my sewing machine - BUT -I couldn't stand it if anything happened to it, so as a matter of course, every time I am through sewing, I unplug the machine and even move the plug away from the outlet. My brother was a fireman for 21 years and told me that with a direct lightning strike, it can actually arc from the outlet for a distance. After all, a few simple steps helps me rest easier if I am away from home and a storm has developed at my house!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
And I don't mean a $25.00 power strip you buy at WalMart...go to Best Buy or one of the electronics stores and buy the kind they use to protect computers.
Take a $3 power strip. Add some ten cent protector parts. Sell it for $7 in a supermarket. Similar circuit sells in Walmart or Staples for $25 or $60. Or Monster sells a similar circuit in Best Buy for $80 or $150. When does a profit margin become excessive?

Read each numeric spec. No power strip protector claims to protect from typically destructive surges. None. But don't take my word for it. View numbers for protection from each type of surge.

Destructive surges are typically hundreds of thousands of joules. How many hundreds of joules does that power strip claim to absorb? How does it make hundreds of thousands of joules just magically disappear? It doesn't. It makes money disappear.

Monster has a long history of identifying scams. Then selling similar products at even higher prices. Because it costs more, then many will recommend it.

Either a protector connects a surge short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to protection. Or it is ineffective. Any facility that can never have damage always upgrades earthing. Uses a 'whole house' protector. And wastes no money on power strip protectors. What does Sun Microsystems recommend in their "Planning Guide for the Sun Server Room"? Whole house protector. Not power strips.

More details and solutions from responsible sources is provided in "saved by surge protector" at
http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_po...m=19457&page=1

Power strip protectors too close to a computerized appliance and too far from earth ground can even make damage easier. Can compromise protection already inside the appliance. May also create house fires as demonstrated recently by Whitneyd88 entitled "My house caught on fire and my tank busted" at:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=55174
> A plug caught fire in my room (which was plugged into a surge protector) it was
> caused by a power surge and caused my tank to burst.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates.

Read "saved by surge protector" for protectors that do what is even routine in munitions dumps. Because munitions dumps also must have best protection. They do not waste money on power strip protectors. More important, they upgrade the only item that provides protection - single point earth ground.

What is necessary to protect power strip protectors? One properly earthed 'whole house' protector.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Great topic. Thanks for bringing it up!