Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Practise quilting at home - new innovative idea >

Practise quilting at home - new innovative idea

Practise quilting at home - new innovative idea

Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 AM

Just bought it at Road and am looking forward to using it. Nice to hear that others have found it helpful
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
It looks kind of like one of those arcade machines we used to plop our quarters into I guess it's really more for long arm training? http://laliladesign.com/Quik-Trainer...ngarm-QT-L.htm
I watched her video on youtube and you can get either for long arm or for domestic machine. I think it would be helpful for those of us who just can't seem to get the coordination for machine quilting. I think it is a fair price, but just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Oops, I looked at the wrong link, you're right it's kind of cool for a domestic machine & not too pricey. http://laliladesign.com/Quik-Trainer...estic-QT-D.htm
I wonder do the ends have suction cups on them, or how do you manage to not knock them over if you move your plastic too close to them?

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 02-01-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM

I got one for Christmas and have found it very helpful. It is much more practical to practice with this than use up expensive fabric. It really helped me learn to retrain my brain . Its like being in kindergarden and learning how to write. I recommend it
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM

This sounds like a good idea. FMQ does take a lot of practice but what you are really training is your muscles to maintain certain movements. The brain will follow. Once that is firmly in your brain, you will find that a little practice will bring the "memory" back again. I am glad that you found something helpful. I trained myself by tracing very simple coloring book pictures onto scrap fabric, using anything that would serve as a batting, and quilted away. It took at least 8 hours, over a period of several days to get the hang of it. Keep trying and don't use that expensive batting; there's more than one way to skin that cat!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM

I am still working at FMQ but I have found that cheap muslin and white polyester felt (72" wide) and 5.99 yd/with coupon even less makes a very cheap sandwich. After you have doodled on it a lot cover it with nice fabric and stipple making a very nice hot pad or pot holder.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Looks like it's worth a try...some days, I can't even draw a good crooked line. Also wondering if a DIY PVC handle might work as a substitute.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanks for putting this on the board d. Rickman. I just tried to order this but ended up having to send them an email as I too am from Canada but can't seem to get my province or country in the order form.
I have tried the pen and paper routine but it just doesn't work for me. I can doodle just fine with one hand but sure can't do it with two hands and get everything else coordinated. I'm hope this will help me a little more with both the control and my comfort zone. The quilting part makes me nervous!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:05 PM

I am looking for the Quik-Trainer for domestic machines but the website, laliladesign.com, does not seem to exist. Does anyone have current information on where to purchase the Quik-Trainer? Thanks for any help!
Old 03-05-2016, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kathleen3 View Post
I am looking for the Quik-Trainer for domestic machines but the website, laliladesign.com, does not seem to exist. Does anyone have current information on where to purchase the Quik-Trainer? Thanks for any help!
Try just Googling "quik-trainer". I did this and found the video. I wasn't able to get any of the links previously posted here to work either.