Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prairie Points and corners of the quilt - help >

Prairie Points and corners of the quilt - help

Prairie Points and corners of the quilt - help

Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Default Prairie Points and corners of the quilt - help

I'm making a baby quilt with Prairie Points for the first time. I read various instructions on how to do them and they all say to trim the four corners after sewing on the points, then turn the points outward, press and then turn under the backing (already quilted onto the quilt). But when I get to the corners, because I trimmed off the tips of each corner of the top and batting as instructed, there's not really anything to turn under to sew the binding onto when I get to the corners. The fabric is very short on the corners and I'm having a devil of a time turning the top fabric under in order to hand sew the backing down in the corners.

I'm doing the best I can with blind stitching very closely on the corners in order to catch all the loose threads from these cut off corners. Is it better to really not cut off the corners? And how do you handle the corners when attaching Prairie Points?

The quilt is turning out really cute but I don't like the problems the corners have give me.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

there are a couple good tutorials here on the board for doing prairie points- go to the tutorial section & search prairie points- then you can see exactly how to do them- i've never heard of cutting off your corners the way you have described. i baste the prairie points in place- stitch the binding over them- then when the binding is folded to the back the prairie points (stand up- fold out) and i hand stitch the binding to the back...
anyway- check out the tutorials - hopefully you will find help.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
there are a couple good tutorials here on the board for doing prairie points- go to the tutorial section & search prairie points- then you can see exactly how to do them- i've never heard of cutting off your corners the way you have described. i baste the prairie points in place- stitch the binding over them- then when the binding is folded to the back the prairie points (stand up- fold out) and i hand stitch the binding to the back...
anyway- check out the tutorials - hopefully you will find help.
Thank you for your reply. I'll make a note on my instructions not to cut off the four corners next time I decide to add Prairie Points to quilt. I am managing to whip stitch those little corners down but what a pain it is. I just hope it will be secure enough for multiple washings since it's a baby quilt. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I probably do mine all wrong but I lay my prairie points all around the quilt laying flat on the front. When I get the spacing perfect, I pin them in place. I then stitch the prairie point to just the front quilt fabric and batt. I then fold under the seam allowances to the back. I fold under the raw edge of the backing fabric and hand stitch it to the seam of the front prairie point edge. This is called doing a knife edge binding I believe and it works for me. You do need a least 2 inches all around the edge of the quilt unquilted to have enough space to work with.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM

There are tons of tutorials on youtube.com for prairie points