Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prairie Points >

Prairie Points

Prairie Points

Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Prairie Points

I am making a baby quilt for my first granddaughter. A friend suggested I border the quilt with prairie points, which I think will be cute. My question: When do I add the prairie points? I have a pattern for a table runner using prairie points, and it says to sew the points to the quilt before adding batting and backing. I googled "Prairie points" and the instructions say to sew the prairie points after sandwiching and quilting the quilt. So which is right? When do you sew your prairie points?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 AM

I have done one quilt and added them after the quilting was done, but I don't think it would matter if you added before. The only thing about adding after quilting is that you need to keep the quilting a safe distance away from the edge.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

if you add prairie points to the edge of a quilt, you have to think about how you will do the edge. Some people do a knife edge finish by hand. Some add a facing and some do a regular binding. You will have to decide which will work for you. You can also add prairie points into a border before the edge.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 PM

I had my quilt quilted then added my prairie points, then my binding. It turned out beautiful!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:39 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Do you want your points to be in-ies or out-ies.......point toward the quilt or point out away from the quilt? This will determine how you add them and finish the top. It's proper to have them face either way.

Jan in VA-
Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Do you want your points to be in-ies or out-ies.......point toward the quilt or point out away from the quilt? This will determine how you add them and finish the top. It's proper to have them face either way.

Jan in VA-
The points will be out-ies.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:34 PM

Would love to see a demo of this. I can't picture outies and then binding.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 PM

I'm no expert, but I did "outies" by sewing them onto the quilt after it had been quilted. Then sewed the binding as a facing and hand-stitched it on the back.

I googled "applying prairie points to quilts tutorial" and came up with several. The first one listed with continuous has an excellent picture of "outies" and uses no binding. I've never done it this way but will certainly try it.

Last edited by GailG; 08-31-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

For outies, perhaps the easiest way would be to 'birth' the quilt.
Baste the prairie points onto the top - facing inward - right against the raw edge. Layer the batting backing and top (think about this so that you have them in the proper order!), sew around the edges with the usual 1/4"+ seam allowance leaving an opening large enough to turn the whole thing inside out. The prairie points will now be facing outward.

When I birth a quilt, which is rarely, I prefer to hand baste the batting to the backing before layering. Then I layer them batting on top, then backing (to which the batting is basted), then the top face up. Sew and turn.

Jan in VA
Old 08-31-2014, 06:52 PM

There is a great video on The Quilt Show if you happen to be a premium member on a new way to make prarie points using a rolled edge created with a serger. It isn't about attaching but I thought I would share.