Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prayer Quilt Question >

Prayer Quilt Question

Prayer Quilt Question

Old 06-09-2015, 05:31 AM

Sorry to hear of your friend's tragic accident and understand your desire to make something for her.

I would buy the prayer quotes and make them the center of a log cabin block (with only a few logs to get it to the right size). I have no idea what size to make it. You might want to choose two colors that are bright and cherry and make the bottom and left side logs in one color and the top and right side in the other.

In my opinion, a signature quilt would not make a good prayer quilt. A signature quilt is a keepsake and would be hung on the wall instead of being used for comfort. Possibly another friend could gather people's well wishes into a booklet. This would allow her to read their thoughts and prayers while she is cuddling in her prayer quilt.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 AM

Such a sweet thing to do for your friend. Sounds like she really needs a lot of prayer right now.

I am in a quilt ministry with my church where we make tied prayer quilts. We include a label that says 'This quilt was lovingly made for ......' And it includes the month/year it was made and the verse from Gal 6:2.

When I begin a quilt, from the fabric cutting to the end, I am in prayer for that person. When it is completed all the ministry members get together and pray over the quilt and for that persons specific needs. And we tie the ties that are placed in the quilt.

In my opinion you can make a quilt any way you want - and as long as you are praying for that person - they are covered with prayer while it is being made and then whenever they use it.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 AM

My only experience with a prayer quilt was for one of my friends, a fellow quilter, who was fighting breast cancer. I made a quilt with HSTs - one side with pastels (light) and the other side navy blue (dark). I sewed it together with all the lights pointing up, then pillowcased it with Minkee and sewed in the ties. Then I presented it to the church, asked members to sign a light triangle with a prayer or verse and to tie one of the knots, praying as they tied it for her health. Since she had for many years been a Sunday School teacher, I took it into her class rooms during class and got her past students to sign it and tie a knot, too. She took that quilt to the hospital with her and to everyone of her chemo treatments.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by kim_s View Post
...I am in a quilt ministry with my church where we make tied prayer quilts. ...
When I begin a quilt, from the fabric cutting to the end, I am in prayer for that person. When it is completed all the ministry members get together and pray over the quilt and for that persons specific needs. And we tie the ties that are placed in the quilt. ...
In my friend's church, they do something similar, except that they leave the ties "half untied" and pass it across the pews during services and as it passes each person, they tie one of the ties as they say a prayer. No signatures, but lots of prayers and each tie represents a prayer sent up for the recipient.

Praying for peace for your injured friend. She sounds like a wonderful person.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
In my friend's church, they do something similar, except that they leave the ties "half untied" and pass it across the pews during services and as it passes each person, they tie one of the ties as they say a prayer. No signatures, but lots of prayers and each tie represents a prayer sent up for the recipient.

Praying for peace for your injured friend. She sounds like a wonderful person.
Lovely idea.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM

Thank you all for the great ideas and the links! I am going to look at some tutorials that were linked up and give this a go! I knew ya'll would have great ideas and thoughts! I especially love that cross quilt. I may give that one a try.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 AM

I made a quilted prayer shawl for my daughter. I prayed for my daughter as I was piecing it. Each piece represented a different prayer. My husband did the actual quilting and he prayed for her as he was quilting.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:12 AM

At our church, we have a quilt ministry. There is always a quilt that is finished and ready to go. By finished I mean layered with binding on and thread for ties where they need to be. We consecrate the quilt and pray for the designated recipient during the church service. After the service and for the next week, people can knot the threads as they say a prayer for the recipient. There is a spiral booklet (could just be a stapled one) next to the quilt where people sign their names and write personal messages to the recipient. After the week is done, any untied threads are tied and the person closest to the sick/injured person takes the quilt with the book to them.
I like this way because there's always a quilt available for emergencies and the booklet is small, but contains all the names and kind messages.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:44 AM

Default Prayer Quilt with Bible Verses

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
need to scroll down to talking quilting products.
I recently made this prayer quilt for a friends daughter that has cancer. I asked my facebook friends, that have battled cancer, which Bible verses gave them the greatest strength. I monogrammed them on squares and used a pattern called "Monkey Wrench" (very similar to a Churn Dash). This is a picture of the top before I quilted it and put on the binding.
Attached Thumbnails 10929973_10104455526610985_6611366626181708461_n.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 05:09 AM

My former church makes them and gives them away. They use 6.5" squares and piece the quilts in 6 x 9 rows. The quilts are sewn up and a backing added. They are then turned envelope style. You may or may not sew around the outside perimeter. The ties of yarn are then put at each intersection and a prayer said over each knot. We did not sign our names but put a label on the back saying who the quilt was from and the date. Hope this helps. (We work in groups: some cut, one or two arrange the new quilts in a pleasing design, and others sew, and others iron.)