Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Prayer shawls

Blog Entries
    Our church is starting a prayer shawl ministry and I am in charge of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on prayer shawls that are super quick and super easy. No one quilts or even sews except me, so it will be quite a challenge. Everyone is willing to help in whatever way they can---cutting, tying, picking out material, etc. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. Thanks everyone.

It sounds like a big undertaking for one person. I don't have any suggestions, except I'll be saying a prayer for you for patience and endurance. God Bless

LOL, I would start teaching someone to sew. At least the straight line puts and you can do the more difficult parts.

Hats off to you and good luck.

Blog Entries
    How about knit or crocheted pray shawls?

Contact a local Quilt Guild or two and let them know what you are doing. We usually get a couple of quilts/shawls every month or so from those wonderful ladies. Do an online search for prayer shawl/quilt. We do 45"x60" as a general size. Non-sewers in our group do a Linus Project type fleece blanket in that size. Rail fence, D9p and Jelly roll are 3 easy/quick ones. Non-sewers also just take two lengths of fabric, sew up pillow case style, turn, stitch around edges and hand tie. Fannel is a good backing because it does not slip off beds or laps as easily. Good luck, be patient!! It is a wonderful thing you are doing and such a blessing to others and yourselves.

There are also books available at amazon.com about prayer shawls and ministry that are full of great info and inspiration.

DJ
    The church I used to go to always had knit or crochet prayer shawls. The quilters would work on quilts to be donated to Lutheran World Relief or to the local women's shelter.

Our church does knit prayer shawls.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    I have only crocheted prayer shawls. you might have to search the web for a pattern

The only prayer shawls I have seen are either knit or crocheted. Have been on the receiving end and must say it was greatly appreciated.
    Vivian

Blog Entries
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7201961_make...awl-quilt.html
    http://www.e-patternscentral.com/det...l?prod_id=4227
    http://www.shawlministry.com/
    Here you go, just a few links for you to explore. I would think a shawl made with beautiful fabric and a simple design would be a great way to enter into prayer.
    You might find some special designs here http://gospelglass.com/
    Let us know how you go with it and show us some of your shawls.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast