Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pre-printed cross-stitch quilt blocks

Blog Entries

Pre-printed cross-stitch quilt blocks

Does the ink used on pre-printed cross-stitch quilt blocks wash out? I don't have an area where I could test it so I come to you all.
    Joyce

Best to read the directions first. Usually they will if the fabric is NOT ironed. Do not press the blocks before the embroidery is done. After the embroidery has been completed, soak in cool water, dry and press.

They will also fade if you spill water on it. It washes out right away. It does wash out nice after you finish it.
    Jo

Yes it will wash out, best to keep them away from spills. They will also fade. I cross stitched mine, then sewed the blocks together for my quilt top, after that it set for several months, then one day I noticed the ink was fading that marked the quilting lines, I had to trace one of the blocks that had not faded, so I would have the design for the blocks that had faded.

Blog Entries
    I have a quilt on my bed that my aunt hand-embroidered at least 30 years ago. The blocks were pre-printed. I have washed the quilt MANY times and the ink is still visible. Don't know if you are talking about brand new blocks - they may have different ink than those from years ago.
    Nikki in MO

I did crosstitch when I was a child and the ink did come out after washing. It is a problem with storing undone patterns for any length of time because any damp conditions will cause them to fade. Light, also, will do it. I would finish the blocks then wash them in cold water. I have a pair of pillow cases I got at a yard sale a few years ago and one of them has faded. I'm thinking of washing them and then ironing on a new pattern. Don't really like the one on them anyway. LOL

I made a quilt for a Lady once and all the x stitches washed out when I washed it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Banned
    It depends on when the blocks were printed. The newer ones are most likely printed in a wash out ink. Older ones probably not. You should be able to test by wetting a small section. Also look for some printing on the edge that you could wet and test.

I just quilted a full size quilt someonelse emb. and the blue did not come out. Hope it does with more washings.

Blog Entries

stamping wash out

All the baby quilts that I embroder the stamping will wash out . If it has the quilting design on don't wash until after you have quilted it. The stampings are also affected by damp fingers and will cause the stamping to spread and look blue. If they don't thave a quilting design on them wash before I sandwich and quilt the quilt.