Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wash quilt sleeve fabric or not? >

Pre-wash quilt sleeve fabric or not?

Pre-wash quilt sleeve fabric or not?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 PM

Default Pre-wash quilt sleeve fabric or not?

When is the best time to put a hanging sleeve on a quilt? The quilt is for an event which requires a sleeve but I'm not sure if I should put the sleeve on before I wash the (non pre-washed fabric) quilt or pre-wash the sleeve fabric and then put it onto the washed quilt.

What is the best method?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 AM

If the quilt was pre washed, or the fabric that was used for the quilt, I would wash the sleeve so they look the same. my 2 cents, good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Add a non-washed sleeve to a non-washed quilt or a washed sleeve to a washed quilt, it really doesn't matter as long as both parts are in the same state of 'shrunk' when they hit the washer together for the first time as a joined pair. I hope that makes sense. You want to avoid mixed rates of shrinkage once they're joined.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

generally a sleeve is added to the quilted quilt- before the binding- the top of the sleeve is (encased) in the top binding- then the lower edge is whip stitched down- along with the quilt surface side of the sides so the sleeve is completely attached to the quilt surface with just the opening for the hanging rod. as for pre-shrinking- are you using the same fabric for the sleeve as the back of the quilt? I would pre-wash the sleeve fabric- mainly because the quilting and batting does play a roll in how much a quilt will shrink- the sleeve will have neither- to help hold it's shape. my daughter's wedding quilt has a sleeve- the sleeve (and backing) fabric were pre-washed (mainly because it's flannel) the top fabrics were not pre-washed- 10 years later- all is still just fine...after many trips to the laundry.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 AM

With all due respect to ckcowl, if you are adding a sleeve for an "event" as you say, I would strongly advise against having the top edge stitched in with the binding. That may work fine for small rods and home displays, but not for standard show/public display arrangements. The top of the sleeve should be about an inch below the top edge of the quilt binding so it does not show above the quilt when hanging, it should be wide enough (4" unless otherwise specified) to fit the pipes/rods used, and it should be a 'D' style sleeve so the rod does not make a bulge on the front when the quilt is hanging.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

ditto to GhostRider's comments!

Also, being that it is just for this event ... most such events allow for sleeves to be pinned with safety pins, knowing that the owners do not want the sleeves on the quilt. Be sure to ask, that this is OK. Again, follow the same guidelines as above.

My other thought would be, to add the sleeve, after the washing of the quilt. That way, you can press the sleeve well and can have it looking good. And too, pre-wash or not, according to your quilt.

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-29-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 AM

Thanks, All. I think the best solution would be to wash the quilt and prewash the sleeve fabric and then add the sleeve after. I would prefer the sleeve to look nice and crisp anyway. I imagine the real deciding factor is if one wants to leave the sleeve on for the life of the quilt.