Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-washed and not washed fabric together? >

Pre-washed and not washed fabric together?

Pre-washed and not washed fabric together?

Old 10-24-2016, 02:38 PM

Unhappy Pre-washed and not washed fabric together?

So I have just realized I may have made a pretty serious mistake with a "scrap" quilt i am working on... right when I got into quilting I decided I wanted a scrappy quilt because my grandmother gave one to my mom and it was just beautiful and I loved the idea of so many different fabrics together! So I started building my stockpile for it, 5 inch squares from any fabric I bought, I've got a pretty huge collection now.

So now the problem...basically back at the start I washed all my fabric, but since then I read it wasn't that serious and stopped washing my fabric without thinking about what it might do to my scrap quilt project.... So now I have pre-washed and not washed 5" squares.

I feel pretty dumb for not thinking about it, so how messed up will my quilt be after the first wash? Should I get rid of my "washed" squares? The majority of the squares(I'd say 90%?) are not washed but I really love some of the washed ones. I'm just not sure what to do, is it really that serious? What should I do?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

You will get mixed responses on what to do - but my Mom had given me a set of 5-inch squares that I washed - one shrank to 4.5 inches.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:50 PM

I prewash everything so it is not an issue for me.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:53 PM

I frequently mix pre-washed (yardage) and unwashed (pre-cuts) and have never had an issue.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 PM

I don't prewash anything ever and I've never had an issue, I just wash with a color catcher afterward
Old 10-24-2016, 03:02 PM

I'd just be sure when your quilt is done to wash it with some color catcher sheets in case any of your colors decided to run. My fabric stops at the washer as soon as it comes in the door. Since most of our fabrics are being made in other countries now, I'm noticing that the reds and the dark colors may not be as colorfast as I would like. Those Shout color catcher sheets are worth their weight in gold to me. That's a lot of work to put into something and then have it run and be ruined. Just my opinion. Good luck with your scrappy. They are my favorite way to go.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
Wish I hadn't got lazy now haha.

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I frequently mix pre-washed (yardage) and unwashed (pre-cuts) and have never had an issue.
This is reassuring to hear.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
You will get mixed responses on what to do - but my Mom had given me a set of 5-inch squares that I washed - one shrank to 4.5 inches.
Wow! 100% cotton? Since it's a scrap quilt I am not too worried about it looking perfect and immaculate but yikes that would be bad.

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I don't prewash anything ever and I've never had an issue, I just wash with a color catcher afterward
Color catcher is a great idea, I will definitely do that in either case! I'm still learning.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
I'd just be sure when your quilt is done to wash it with some color catcher sheets in case any of your colors decided to run. My fabric stops at the washer as soon as it comes in the door. Since most of our fabrics are being made in other countries now, I'm noticing that the reds and the dark colors may not be as colorfast as I would like. Those Shout color catcher sheets are worth their weight in gold to me. That's a lot of work to put into something and then have it run and be ruined. Just my opinion. Good luck with your scrappy. They are my favorite way to go.
Thank you for the info! Definitely going for the color catcher, I really don't want to ruin this.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM

I suppose you could give all your squares a bath in a dish basin with warm water and a few drops of soap. Or place in small lingerie bags and use the washing machine.
But that is only if you want to, or there are certain red or purple fabrics that cause concern.

I am like you in that I used to wash all my fabric ten years ago up until about 2 years ago, but I don't do it now. I have my older washed fabrics that I still incorporate into quilts with my newer unwashed fabrics. I personally have not had any problems with shrinking or bleeding. I think that as long as you're not using fabric printed decades ago (which might be loosely woven or has unstable dyes), you will be fine as others have said by using a color catcher.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
This is my course of action, also.