Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Precut Kits >

Precut Kits

Precut Kits

Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM

I came one earlier asking about pressing seams open, and got a lot of great info from many on the board. I was just looking at the Fons & Porter site and noticed that the quilt that I plan to start soon is offered as a precut kit. It costs $163 dollars, and my DH nearly choked when he heard that, but I was thinking since I have a hard time cutting, (can't stand up for more than a minute, so cut sitting down, therefore accuracy is hard (but not impossible) to achieve, and since the picture in the Fons and Porter magazine is what caught his eye, maybe it would be a good idea to get the kit! I know that if I go to my LQS the fabric will be excellent but costly. Probably not as costly as the precut kit, but the kit surely would be easier and faster.
My questions are: Has anyone ever bought a precut kit from Fons & Porter? Were the pieces cut accurately?
Did you get the same color pieces as was shown in the catalog? What was the quality of the fabric?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM

I haven't seen kits from Fons & Porter but when I asked about kits at my LQS, they told me that the kit includes the yardage but the buyer still has to cut from the yardage.

It doesn't seem to be clear whether the pieces are pre-cut by looking at the description of the kits. You might want to call them to be sure.

Have fun!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I would call them to verify if the fabric in the quilt you want will be the same as shown. Sometimes there are substitutions, so I always call and ask first :wink: no matter what company I order from :D:D:D
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Administrator

if the pieces are already cut out for you; and

if you have a very hard time cutting your own; and

if you'll be using expensive material no matter who does the cutting; then

i would consider the extra expense to be worthwhile.

-you won't inflict as much pain and discomfort on yourself (priceless)

-you won't risk wasting fabric by cutting inaccurately (saves what you might have had to spend buying more fabric to recut the wonky pieces.)

-your time is also valuable. ;-)

if it fits into your budget, i'd say go for it. :-)
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM

You will still have to do all the cutting, so really the only benefit is that the fabric has all been coordinated for you. Personally, I don't care for kits as I like to choose my own fabrics to make it mine. Now, if you want pre-cut pieces like tumbler blocks etc. from an Accuquilt system, that would probably fit your needs more.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

-you won't risk wasting fabric by cutting inaccurately (saves what you might have had to spend buying more fabric to recut the wonky pieces.)

I guess this whole topic was a waste of time on my part, but thank you everyone for your thoughts. I just went back on the Fons and Porter site and alas! the kit is no longer on it! So I guess I'll be doing all that cutting myself. At least my LQS lady is so very nice and helpful and will help me pick out the fabric so that will be very close to the picture in the magazine. She is so good!
Thank you all!
:-)
Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by majormom
Originally Posted by PatriceJ

I guess this whole topic was a waste of time on my part, but thank you everyone for your thoughts. I just went back on the Fons and Porter site and alas! the kit is no longer on it! So I guess I'll be doing all that cutting myself. At least my LQS lady is so very nice and helpful and will help me pick out the fabric so that will be very close to the picture in the magazine. She is so good!
Thank you all!
:-)
Sometimes...if you ask nicely, and you are a regular customer of the LQS, the staff will cut your fabric for your pattern for you. I used to do this for a elderly lady that visited my shop regularly. She would come in early morning, pick out her fabric,and come back the next afternoon to pick it up. Whether they own up to it or not (the LQS), they always have slow time throughout the day and would be able to do this for a customer. Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 AM

Do you have a quilting buddy that will cut for you? One of our quilt guild members just can't cut any more. We trade quilting jobs. I love to cut and do that for her and she "pays" me back by binding my quilts. It works for us.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 AM

I would contact my local quilt store. Ask them if they would be willing to cut your pieces for you because of the challenge you have. I believe that at our local quilt shop if you bought the material they would help you out here.
They are selling fabric and if they help cut it you can get it done sooner to buy some more. Plus a lot of stores have the accu cut that they use.

I love my local quilt shop!!! Even if the material is around $10.00 a yard.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 AM

There are very few kits where the fabric is precut. The correct yardage is in the kit but you still have to cut.