Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More >

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

Old 02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I buy them often, especially when they are on sale...I also use them in my quilts...
Old 02-19-2014, 01:21 PM

My only use of them so far was a Moda charm pack I used for a table runner for my Mom. I bought a yard of matching fabric to make the backing and binding. I thought they were great. However, I'm just about to start a quilt made with Bali Pops. 2 River Rock Bali Pops plus half of an older Bali Pop I had, and two pieces of yardage for borders and binding. Mostly I like the variety of so many coordinated fabrics without a huge investment in large pieces.

Last edited by Skyangel; 02-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM

I use precuts too and so far have not had a problem. Still need to buy a bit of yardage though for some of the project. I like the precuts because it simplifies things a bit and makes some fabric cutting less time consuming.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Am I missing something? Most of the jelly rolls that I have seen in my LQS only have 20 strips in them and cost upwards of $35! The labels did not say "2 each of 20 fabrics" etc. Do some jelly rolls come with only 20 strips or have my eyes deceived me? I've never purchased precuts as I don't think they are worth the money (especially at $35 for just over a yard of fabric).

Anita
Old 02-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Am I missing something? Most of the jelly rolls that I have seen in my LQS only have 20 strips in them and cost upwards of $35! The labels did not say "2 each of 20 fabrics" etc. Do some jelly rolls come with only 20 strips or have my eyes deceived me? I've never purchased precuts as I don't think they are worth the money (especially at $35 for just over a yard of fabric).

Anita

Anita
most JR's have about 40 strips ranging from $35.00---to $39.00 at least Moda's are.
all precuts go on sale at one point or another.
watch the online stores that sell them and sign up for their sales.
last batch I bought was around $24.95 for each Moda jelly roll.
think it was a black friday sale.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:09 PM

One must be careful when buying pre-cuts and never assume for instance that all rolled up bundles of strips are equal to a Moda Jelly Roll. Always read the label and see what you're getting! "Design Rolls" in my experience are generally 20 strips and run $14-$19 while a true "Jelly Roll" will be 40 strips, in the $35+ range. I do like being able to collect an entire fabric line by purchasing a charm pack or layer cake, but like all fabric, not all pre-cut offerings are equal.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:16 AM

I love precuts because I don't like cutting. I use Moda and love it. Although, the charm packs are not 5 inches. I just adjust.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM

I don't use them often but haven't had any issues when I did. When I purchase them it is normally because I do want that variety and finding some place that has all 40 pieces in the line and then I would have to purchase 1/8 yd of each which if cut straight would leave me with a 2" strip I didn't want and wasted money. I do normally try to find the pre-cuts on sale.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
You can get 14 strips at 2.5in per yard of material. So you would need about 2 7/8 yds of fabric to equal a jelly roll ( or there abouts) assuming 40 strips in a jelly roll.

At lets say $11.95/yd fabric, then that is $11.95 * 3yds = $35.85, typical jelly rolls are around $30-35 each....

so assuming variations in fabric prices (balis more than printed) then you are basically paying the same as yardage. The difference is that you get anywhere from 20 - 40 different fabrics rather than a handful.
The big problem here is you can't (at least I can't) buy a 2-1/2" strip of fabric. Most stores will not cut less than 1/8 yd which is 4.5" and there again most cuts from the store need to be evened up.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:43 PM

I use lots of precuts - especially for baby quilts and lap quilts, but I ONLY use Moda, because, as others here have said, the rest of them are not reliably 5"... never mind how pretty they are. There are a couple I wouldn't touch with a 40-foot pole. I think cheating quilters in this way will be the end of most precuts, because many people are understandably angry that their trust has been violated. The manufacturers have virtually shot themselves in the feet.

Now, to the second question: I love charm packs, layer cakes, and jelly rolls, but I do NOT like triangles at all. I'll make my own triangles, thank you. As for mini-charm packs and other half-breeds, I think they're way too costly.

Oh, one last comment: I never pay full price for them. Sooner or later someone will have a sale on what I want, or I find I suddenly don't "need" it anymore. <G>