Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Preferred Method for Crosshatch Quilting by Machine??

What is your favorite method for crosshatch quilting?

Do you mark the crosshatching lines or use blue tape with a starter line, free motion the grid lines or use a walking foot? Do you employ any particular sequencing/turning/pivoting, or do you try to get as far as you can around your quilt or quilt section in a continuous line?

I longarm so it may be a bit different. (funny cuz I use a Statler but perfer to do this my old method)
    Mark out the lines with a 60 degree angle. Start on these lines and sew them out completely all the way around (I'm assuming you are stitching around an applique)
    Then draw in your other direction and sew this, all the way around.
    Hope you can understand.

I use a walking foot, of course, but I use a guide attachment that came with my Pfaff. You can adjust it for any width. I start in the center, usually drawing a line diagonally with chalk, then use the guide for the next row. I work from the middle out, then rotate and go from the middle out on the other side. It goes fast and can make a pretty straight line. When I finish going in one direction, I start over again in the opposite direction.

Blog Entries
    thanks TXSunshine, i am about to do that on half of my Aussie blocks and swirls on the other half.

Blog Entries
    I use painters tape. Mark a couple rows sew then move tape.

Blog Entries
    Not sure what "cross hatch" refers to??

Quote Originally Posted by rusty quilter
    Not sure what "cross hatch" refers to??
    Cross-hatch quilting is a criss-cross grid of intersecting parallel lines that form a diamond pattern. If the lines weren't positioned "on point," the grid would be a square pattern like tic-tac-toe. It's often used as an elegant background to throw feather, leaf, rope, applique, etc. quilting designs into high relief similar to the effect of background stippling and microstippling.

I asked the question because I am finding it really difficult to "free motion" quilt parallel lines .