Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preparing fabric for Quilting: a few questions >

Preparing fabric for Quilting: a few questions

Preparing fabric for Quilting: a few questions

Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 PM

But if the quilt is to be only ever washed in cold or warm water, why do you prewash in hot water? Won't cotton shrink in warm water? And isn't prewashing in warm water emulating how the quilt is to be cleaned during its' lifetime? When I was a veterinary nurse I was taught that the best temperature to remove blood stains and so forth was cold water, and most stain remover products are also compatible with cold or warm water washing so why would you use hot water on a soiled quilt? Hot water can set some stains/dirt I thought?
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 AM

I am a novice at anything domestic. When I used starch on my fabric I just bought the cheapest starch I could find.
I probably over-sprayed but I always ended up with some white starch spots.
I finally tried "Best Press" unscented and it works perfectly.
I also use "Retayne" and presoak my fabrics in hot water. I rinse them to get the Retayne out and then line dry in the
good months, followed by minimal dryer time to take the wrinkles out.
I'm sure there are many ways of prepping fabrics but this has worked for me so I haven't experimented further.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
Thanks for the education! I live on a farm with a septic system and never even considered the chemicals I'm putting into it!! Could you possibly use Retayne or Synthrapol in your bucket and dump the bucket with that stuff in it away from your aquifer? I'm a city girl not used to the interesting, different systems we have here on the farm, so I'm always up for learning!! Is it a specific brand of batiks that is bleeding so much? Different brands seem to react differently - I think some over-dye the fabric. I don't want any bleeding on a quilt I have invested so much time and money on either, so I'll be obsessive/compulsive with you
We are also on a septic system and the soil is basically clay--which causes some lateral field issues. While I am cautious of what I put into the drains, I have never worried about chemicals that are in fabrics--ALL fabrics, whether cut goods or clothing come with chemicals and we wash our clothes, right?My "honey wagon" man says just don't flush things that would clog the filtering system--like tampons, Kleenex or egg shells--none break down. Unless its a blizzard outside, I also compost vegetable scrapings, etc. to minimize the stuff that goes into the drain.

A friend that owned a quilt fabric shop said all fabric should be tested for dye issues by rubbing a swatch of whitepaper hard on the fabric-if you see ANY color,then you have to wash until none rubs off.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
But if the quilt is to be only ever washed in cold or warm water, why do you prewash in hot water? Won't cotton shrink in warm water? And isn't prewashing in warm water emulating how the quilt is to be cleaned during its' lifetime? When I was a veterinary nurse I was taught that the best temperature to remove blood stains and so forth was cold water, and most stain remover products are also compatible with cold or warm water washing so why would you use hot water on a soiled quilt? Hot water can set some stains/dirt I thought?
For many of us, shrinking is a main purpose of washing in hot water. Another is because you never know how the quilt will be handled once it's out of your control. There were lots of reasons given for hot water prewashing in this recent thread.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...r-t266226.html
Old 06-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just for the heck of it since we're talking prepping fabric. I tried something a little different. I prewashed a large piece of fabric. before tossing it into the dryer, I mixed 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar to 1 cup water. Then put it into a spray bottle and spritzed the fabric. Then tossed into the dryer on hot. Came out pretty nice, very few wrinkles but didn't feel really soft. Didn't take much to spritz or spray it. Smelled fresh no fragrance that would irritate some noses. Folded nicely. Cut a small piece 5x10" strip and felt like it had some body in it.
I never thought of this. You use vinegar and water spritz to get solid creases out of clothes- good idea.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 PM

I used to not pre-wash but after having some red and blue bleed onto some white fabric I started prewashing everything. I too don't store starched fabric (too tempting for bugs) so press, ruler fold then starch and iron just before I cut it.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 AM

I wash, then air dry all newly added fabric. I have learned not to iron until I'm about to make use of the fabric. I don't starch - have you tried sewing or quilting once there's starch on the fabric? egads! Talk about needing pliers to pull thread through! If you're one who sends out quilts to have binding put on, due to no fault of your own for not liking the binding part, think of the poor soul who has to put that binding on once starch has been used....it's a crime I tell ya, a crime!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=rj.neihart;7236685 have you tried sewing or quilting once there's starch on the fabric? egads! Talk about needing pliers to pull thread through! If you're one who sends out quilts to have binding put on, due to no fault of your own for not liking the binding part, think of the poor soul who has to put that binding on once starch has been used....it's a crime I tell ya, a crime![/QUOTE]
hahahaa I starch the limp right out of mine and put on my bindings and I'm good. Some of my fabric can stand on it's own Toni
Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just for the heck of it since we're talking prepping fabric. I tried something a little different. I prewashed a large piece of fabric. before tossing it into the dryer, I mixed 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar to 1 cup water. Then put it into a spray bottle and spritzed the fabric. Then tossed into the dryer on hot. Came out pretty nice, very few wrinkles but didn't feel really soft. Didn't take much to spritz or spray it. Smelled fresh no fragrance that would irritate some noses. Folded nicely. Cut a small piece 5x10" strip and felt like it had some body in it.
Speaking as a chemist, I wouldn't recommend this. Vinegar is an acid, and over time it will deteriorate your fabric. This is why acid-free pens, paper etc are used in scrapbooking - even very small amounts of acid, over time, will cause natural fibers to break down. Throwing it into a hot dryer will accelerate the process.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:41 AM
dd

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Speaking as a chemist, I wouldn't recommend this. Vinegar is an acid, and over time it will deteriorate your fabric. This is why acid-free pens, paper etc are used in scrapbooking - even very small amounts of acid, over time, will cause natural fibers to break down. Throwing it into a hot dryer will accelerate the process.
I always use white vinegar in my laundry and dishwasher. We have very hard well water. The vinegar takes care of the lime and dishes comes out spotless. I use in washer with towels to counter act the soap. Towels come out soft even on the clothes line without fabric softener. I'm told it also kills germs. Can't smell it on fabric when it's dry. I even use it on my hair sometimes. It all washes out the next time you wash anything. Been using it for years.