Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preshrinking freezer paper? >

Preshrinking freezer paper?

Preshrinking freezer paper?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Don't really need freezer paper for the no tear away paper piecing anyway. I learned about it on the Quilt N Bee You Tube video. I have really cheap copy paper and can use light glue stick that allows for reposition.
I also use typing paper to do the paperless paper piecing. We can make at least 20 blocks from the same piece of paper. But we start in the middle and work our way out. Much faster.

First I lightly crease all the lines from edge to edge with the back of the seam ripper and a ruler. Put the middle piece on the paper Right Side Up with a little washable glue stick, turn that over, fold the paper back for the first seam and lay on second piece RST, and sew that seam right next to the paper. Press open, fold down paper for next piece, etc. Seam allowance can be trimmed after each sew with an add-a-quarter ruler or a scissors.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
this is sharon chambers daughters' blog. riding moms apron strings into blog popularity? or blogging for mom so mom can devote all her time to creating & innovating?
Oh my. I watched the tutorial on making the Sq in Sq block using Sharons' technique. It is definitely a lot of work compared to how most of us would make this or any block. I think this is something that makes the difference between a professional class quilter and "me". Her block couldn't be more perfect. Couldn't we all improve our own work with this simple experiment.

Now, I hear all the time about how one of our worst nightmares is loosing the points and lining up of perfect seams, two of the the most basic fundamentals in quilting.

If you have trouble with these things wouldn't be worth trying the technique?

Why do we poo poo every thing that might improve our work? I'm seeing a lot of criticism here, and don't understand why. Just take the tip or not. We don't have to be rude.
peace
Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Really now.....watch the sale of precut sheet of freezer paper made especially for quilters skyrocket now!!!!
The precut freezer paper I have is cheaper then the box of Reynolds and I don't have to cut it to fit the printer. I bought it from a paper manufacturer. I bought 12 reams of unsold product for $25. I bought the same way for the vellum papers I use for paper piecing. One good paper buy will last a lifetime. I have supplied every guild member with enough freezer paper to make templates for dozens of quilts each. Oh and it does not shrink. I tested it against the Reynolds. Reynolds is fine if that is all you have.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:06 AM

huh? But even if a freezer paper shrunk 1/8" in width - this is across a 20" or 24" width. So it wouldn't even be a thread width on a normal size template??? I say it is a whole lot of extra work for what might possibly be a thread - and maybe not even a thread width.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:27 AM

Never heard of this, but I use freezer paper for applique only, so if it's true it doesn't present a problem.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
Always something to make you doubt your sanity.

Doubted my sanity? Never. I know i'm crazy. I raised 5 kids. 3 boys, but the girls drove me over the edge.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 AM

Onebyone. Who did you buy the pre cut freezer paper from? I do a lot of printing on fabric and would love the pre cut.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by DivaDee View Post
Doubted my sanity? Never. I know i'm crazy. I raised 5 kids. 3 boys, but the girls drove me over the edge.
Like minds are often opposite. I had the reverse, three girls and two boys. It was one of the boys that tipped me over into the chasm.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The precut freezer paper I have is cheaper then the box of Reynolds and I don't have to cut it to fit the printer. I bought it from a paper manufacturer. I bought 12 reams of unsold product for $25. I bought the same way for the vellum papers I use for paper piecing. One good paper buy will last a lifetime. I have supplied every guild member with enough freezer paper to make templates for dozens of quilts each. Oh and it does not shrink. I tested it against the Reynolds. Reynolds is fine if that is all you have.

Fortunate for you that you were able to buy from a mfgr....perhaps you might share the name?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:01 AM

I too just read the blog on sq in a sq.....I got tired just reading/ looking at pics.....all that work for one square!!!!!! What happened to starting from center square, do math or follow pattern for cutting other squares and cutting them diagonally and building on that center????? That how I do mine, no paper, glue, etc. btw.....I read her " little" life story on blog.....and like most of the blogs out there...lots of me, my, I...............