Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
to press or not to press; that is the question! >

to press or not to press; that is the question!

to press or not to press; that is the question!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM

My mom taught me to sew when I was very young and I remember her saying that you can sew without a sewing machine, but not without an iron. She was a real dressmaker and always pressed every seam as she went along from step to step. She said that was what made something look "handcrafted" not "homemade." I learned on little doll clothes. That is so embedded in my mind that when I quilt I rarely sew a seam without pressing it. I only press the pre-fabric if I have washed it, or if it is creased or wrinkled. But as they say, everyone has their own preferences.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM

What you do is up to you. I use starch only when I'm going to be cutting out shapes that have a log of bias in them. It prevents them from raveling and stretching while handling. Otherwise, I don't bother. I often iron my seams, but not always. Some people starch everything and press after every step no matter what. Good for them. They will likely have better quilts. For me though, it takes some of the enjoyment of the process from me to be so precise. I am not entering any of my quilts into any show. I love them. Family loves them. That's good enough for me.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

I like to press the fabric 1st then press the seams as I go. I get much better results that way.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
"Having said that, I have read on the QB about people who have taken a class from Kaye England. If I understood those posts correctly, she does not press until the top is finished. I remember one post especially about a student who tried this out for himself and said he got better results with it. I haven't had the courage to try it myself."

I'm sorry but this just does not make sense to me. I'd love someone to explain the rationale behind it. Pressing, if done right -- not ironing but pressing -- can only help, it seems to me. What am I missing here?
Found the thread I was talking about (Kaye England not pressing until quilt top is done). Here it is:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ne-t72615.html

(Warning: the above thread is 13 pages long!)

Last edited by Prism99; 01-12-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM

I always prewash my fabric unless it's something like a wall hanging. I also always iron my fabric. But I only starch if necessary.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I like to press. For me it is the rewarding part of the process. The seams look so nice, and it helps with the next steps.
I have to agree..pressing is apart of the process..I will finger press small seams but for the most part I use my iron..as for washing I generally don't before I piece, I will wash after the quilt is completed..just a preference..