Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To press or not to press >

To press or not to press

To press or not to press

Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 AM

I press as I go along and unless it has been wadded up and thrown in a tote some where I don't have to press the whole thing before quilting. I quilt it then wash and dry it. I wouldn't DREAM of ironging after its washed and dried.

HOWEVER...I know there are people who DON'T like the wrinkled/old look of quilts therefore they prewash/dry and they do everything humanly possible NOT to have the wrinkles in their quilts. So I am sure this would include ironing their finished quilt. The only way I could see it "ruining" a quilt is if you used monofilament thread to quilt with, the iron would melt it.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM

It actually depends on the monofilament thread. I was recently informed that some of the newer thread doesn't melt. It used to be the case that it would, but no longer. I would always test some before trying it though, just to be safe.

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I press as I go along and unless it has been wadded up and thrown in a tote some where I don't have to press the whole thing before quilting. I quilt it then wash and dry it. I wouldn't DREAM of ironging after its washed and dried.

HOWEVER...I know there are people who DON'T like the wrinkled/old look of quilts therefore they prewash/dry and they do everything humanly possible NOT to have the wrinkles in their quilts. So I am sure this would include ironing their finished quilt. The only way I could see it "ruining" a quilt is if you used monofilament thread to quilt with, the iron would melt it.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:36 AM

I press the top as I go and repress every thing after the top is finished. Not after quilted and washed. I will if it is a wall hanging and has been folded before I hang it.