Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Press and Seal For FMQ Stencils

Press and Seal For FMQ Stencils

Has anyone tried using this method for FMQ? I just ordered it from Amazon so I hope it works!

http://home.ptd.net/~shoofly/PNS/directions.htm

Looks interesting. May have to find freezer press and seal.

Power Poster
    It works well but if you have stitching lines really close together you need to break out the tweezers to remove it. I used a sharpie to mark the pattern on the plastic and I did get some colour transfer onto a cream background. I don't know if the ink wasn't dry enough or if it just came off the plastic and onto the thread? If I was to do it now I would try the Frixion pens to mark the plastic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ... I used a sharpie to mark the pattern on the plastic and I did get some colour transfer onto a cream background. I don't know if the ink wasn't dry enough or if it just came off the plastic and onto the thread? If I was to do it now I would try the Frixion pens to mark the plastic.
    this happened to me when i tried it also. it's the last time i used it
    Nancy in western NY

Just might have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I you look at the link, you will see that they don't quilt thru the press n seal. They use it to mark the quilt, remove it, then stitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    It works well but if you have stitching lines really close together you need to break out the tweezers to remove it. I used a sharpie to mark the pattern on the plastic and I did get some colour transfer onto a cream background. I don't know if the ink wasn't dry enough or if it just came off the plastic and onto the thread? If I was to do it now I would try the Frixion pens to mark the plastic.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    ​Thanks Paperprincess, I didn't see the link with using the pounce on the perforations. It does look like a nice way to transfer designs onto blocks instead of stitching through it.

Blog Entries
    What exactly did you order from Amazon? The Press-n-Seal? Is that not available in your local grocery stores???

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    What exactly did you order from Amazon? The Press-n-Seal? Is that not available in your local grocery stores???
    I ordered the Pounce Pad. It's available only online.

I have also tried the press-n-seal. At first it seemed to work just fine, but the 2nd time I tried it, I found that it gunked my needle up really bad and totally gave me fits. I now buy the golden threads paper & pin or glue dot on & sew thru, or sew through with an empty needle and pounce. On lighter colors, I have a light box and trace with sewline pencils before I sandwich-just be sure not to heat-set or they will likely become permanent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast