Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Press a seam to which side and why? >

Press a seam to which side and why?

Press a seam to which side and why?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Why are seams pressed? (Not ironed. Right?)
Press light fabric toward dark fabric?
Press heavier fabric toward lighter weight fabric?
At which part of the assembly do I press?
Is there a standard?
Is there a strong recommendation?
Does the standard and/or recommendation change depending on the pattern being used or the teachers preference?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Pam

You press, not iron to avoid streching the block.

Press to the dark so that the darkdoes not shadow through the light color.

Heavier towards lighter weight to reduce bulk.

You press at EVERY stage.

Yes the standard changes, you do what it takes to get the block put together and to lay flat.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM

Excellent! The detail is appreciated. This is a step that always frustrates me because I don't know what and when to do.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

Why are seams pressed? (Not ironed. Right?)

Ironing might stretch the block at the seam especially if seam is on the bias. Also pressing before the seam is pressed to side or open sets the stitches and will make the block lay flatter.

Press light fabric toward dark fabric?

Pressing dark to light causes shadowing of the seam and distorts the appearance of the block design.

Press heavier fabric toward lighter weight fabric?

Have never heard of this. the opposite appears more realistic to me. However, pressing heavier toward lighter does not require a fold in the seam line of the heavier fabric and might enable the block to lay flatter.

At which part of the assembly do I press?

Some books recommend after every step. Says it makes the entire block lay flatter and be more accurate.

Is there a standard? - No there is no standard.

Is there a strong recommendation? - No, whichever works best on the piece you are doing.

Does the standard and/or recommendation change depending on the pattern being used or the teachers preference?

- Probably on the teacher's preference. Some teachers/books etc are adament about doing it "my way" but I believe the way depends on the individual quilter and what works best. Same with pressing seams to side or open. I do whichever makes the top side of the block look better and is easier for me to complete.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

I didn't know how to change the font or color of my answers to the above question so therefore need to read the response carefully. I answered according to my knowledge or thought after each question.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by Holice
I didn't know how to change the font or color of my answers to the above question so therefore need to read the response carefully. I answered according to my knowledge or thought after each question.
Hollis read both of our answers, great minds think alike!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM

Has anyone here ever tried using a piece of 100% cotton batting on their ironing board? It is positively wonderful!! Your pressing is sooooo much nicer and everything is nice an flat.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by PALS65
Has anyone here ever tried using a piece of 100% cotton batting on their ironing board? It is positively wonderful!! Your pressing is sooooo much nicer and everything is nice an flat.
Nice tip, I will try that.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Originally Posted by PALS65
Nice tip, I will try that.
It really does work!! I love to do miniatures out of Civil War fabrics and using the batting makes it soooo much easier!! I also use a small Sunbeam travel iron which also helps.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

I just seen at a quilt shop this week that she was pressing the seams open I had never seen that done but so called the book called for it to be done that way. The first I had ever seen that. I was always taught you press to the dark and when you hit two seams together one seam goes one way and the other the other way way not so bulky. But after that I am wondering ok quilters are we changing to pressing them open now. So confusing after I seen her quilt she was making the owner of the quilt shop! I think I am sticking to way I have always done it case I see a need to press open the seams!