Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Press seams open or to one side >

Press seams open or to one side

Press seams open or to one side

Old 04-18-2009, 01:27 PM

In one of the newsletters Admin discussed this. He said that in the garment industry the seat seams have always been pressed open and look at all the stress put on those seams.
Actually, high-stress garment seams are usually flat-felled or triple-stitched, others are serged, top stitched through seam allowances... even dressmakers at home, sewing for their personal use, generally finish seams for their function. I would never make a sleeve or center back/crotch seam on pants, for example, with just one line of sewing and then press it open! I might do it on a shoulder seam, with the collar seam at one end and the sleeve seam on the other.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

i typically triple stitch garments and handbags and then i would press the seams open.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I think that traditionally hand-pieced seams were pressed to one side to strengthen the seam. This convention was continued when quilters started machine piecing; however, it's not really necessary with machine-pieced seams because they are generally stronger than hand-stitched seams. Many award-winning quilters press their seams open to achieve more precise piecing results and to make hand quilting easier.

"Bearding" of batting through seams pressed open was probably more often a problem in the past. It might still be a problem today with some polyester and wool batts, but I think for the most part modern processing of batting has cut down a lot on this problem. Cotton batts usually do not beard at all.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

I would say it depends on the design I am making. If you press to one side and then the next row the opposite way, the seams nestle up and you get a good match up. But, on some blocks that intersect heavily in the middle, you have to press them open to have a nice flat center. Just my personal perference, I am sure. I have heard it taught both ways. Today's machine piecing are a good strong seam, and pressing it open is acceptable.