Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Press seams >

Press seams

Press seams

Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 AM

Default Press seams

I'm just taking this chance to ask a probably rather stupid question . When piecing blocks together, e.g. a four patch, should I press the seams open or to one side?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Either way is considered "proper".

To a certain extent, how you press each unit will depend on what the units will be set with/in.

I prefer to press most of the seams to one side because it is easier for me to get the intersections "right" that way.

Other people press all of their seams open.

These blocks were finger(nail) pressed. I've found that many times that is adequate pressing while a block is being constructed.

The bottom line for me is - it depends. I have no problem with using "mixed methods" when assembling a block. A few years ago it had to be "all one way" - but now - whatever works!

When chain piecing, I now "sew" about 1/2 inch between each unit - because I feel that leaving about 1/4 inch of thread extending beyond the fabric helps minimize pulling apart of the pieces.
Attached Thumbnails 4-patch051.jpg   4-patch2053.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-24-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I still usually press to the dark side when piecing. Occasionally I will press open the last center seams on 8 point stars or similar to reduce bulk in the center of the star.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 AM

On a 4 patch like this, i like to press to the dark side as you can "nest" the seams which helps in matching them. I press open whenever i have a patch that has multiple seams converging (like a star block) because it makes less bulk. But - there are no quilt police - and you do whatever works best for you.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

On this four patch, I like to have the seams going in one direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) so you can make that tiny pinwheel in the center so you avoid the bulk in the center. I agree with Tartan. I ONLY open my seams when there are so many points intersecting in the center.
Attached Thumbnails qiad.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I press to the side unless there's a really good reason not to. When the top is quilted, if any of those stitches come loose, I think there will be less chance of batting coming through.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks for all your tips! So pressing the seams open could let the batting come through. But isn't it harder to (hand-) quilt when the seams are pressed to one side as it gets thicker?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 AM

I too only press my seams open when the block calls for it (lots of seams coming together in 1 point) or on a One Block Wonder.

NOTE: When pressing seams open you really need to shorten your stitch length, on my Bernina I always use a 2 which I believe is 12 stitches to the inch. Most machines (new) default to about 10. Also think about how you are going to quilt it - I haven't tried it but a lot of people say to NOT stitch in the ditch on seams pressed open. When you think about it that makes sense - you are going to be stitching into stitches and have the chance that you could be breaking those that are holding your pieceing together. Of course that is if unlike me you actually hit a ditch.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM

Excellent illustration. I try to spin mine - though the last time I did it, I forgot to release a stitch or two and ended up very lumpy.

Cheers, K
Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I too only press my seams open when the block calls for it (lots of seams coming together in 1 point) or on a One Block Wonder.

NOTE: When pressing seams open you really need to shorten your stitch length, on my Bernina I always use a 2 which I believe is 12 stitches to the inch. Most machines (new) default to about 10. Also think about how you are going to quilt it - I haven't tried it but a lot of people say to NOT stitch in the ditch on seams pressed open. When you think about it that makes sense - you are going to be stitching into stitches and have the chance that you could be breaking those that are holding your pieceing together. Of course that is if unlike me you actually hit a ditch.
I have to say that I'm actually hand piecing - I don't have a sewing machine. So what you're saying lets me think it would be a better idea to press the seams to the side as adjusting stitch length is not that easy by hand...

Yes, it does make sense to me that for quilting in the ditch the seams should probably be pressed to the side.