Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Presser feet - 1/4" guide? >

Presser feet - 1/4" guide?

Presser feet - 1/4" guide?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 AM

Default Presser feet - 1/4" guide?

Again, I apologize if this is a known and thoroughly discussed topic.

I have a Pfaff machine which is the only thing I have pieced on before. To that machine I have a 1/4" seam guide foot. It's excellent. I get a perfect seam allowance with no effort. The good thing is that with the integrated dual feed I have the guide and the upper feed at the same time.

Now I got a Juki TL-2010Qi. I got it for FMQ mostly because I don't want to put my Pfaff through that kind of use. My Pfaff doubles as an embroidery machine and also does great decorative stitches.

I like the Juki so much I want to piece on it as well. I got a huge number of presser feet but not one with a 1/4" seam guide. Looking at Juki's selection of feet, there isn't one. Neither have I found a generic one with a high shank either.

I did buy a magnetic seam guide which I think will do the trick, perhaps not as perfect as the presser foot.

My question to you is;
1. How do you get the scant 1/4" seam allowance?
2. Do you use a walking foot when piecing?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:39 AM

I don't know anything about Jukis but there seems to be a lot of high shank 1/4 foot with guide on ebay. For example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4in-Hig...item2586984866

I don't know it doesn't mention your model but I've found that's not necessarily indicative of it not fitting it.

I have the following rulers excellent for scant 1/4 inch seams:

The Westalee gauge:

http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop...eam-gauge.html

and

the Ezy seam helper

http://www.amazon.com/Seam-Helper-Sc...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Old 12-31-2013, 02:56 AM

A lot of people on the board use either a block of Post-Its or Command Strips positioned on their footplate to give an exact 1/4" or scant 1/4" and then simply run their fabric against the block - voilą - perfect seams!

Not sure if you have Command Strips - they're not very common here, but Staples carries them as do some DIY chains. Even with postage, you'd probably be cheaper from eBay US. The good thing about them is that they're removable and won't damage your machine.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 AM

I bought a Juki TL98P (the only model available here) a few months ago. It comes with what is described as a 'compensating foot' which is in fact a quarter inch foot. It might be a good idea to double check your box of goodies that came with your machine. I also bought a 3/16" 'compensating foot' on Ebay for the Juki which might also be useful if you really want a scant, scant quarter inch!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:19 AM

This is the foot that I bought for my Juki TL2010...love it!!! I had gotten mine on ebay, but it is the same model number. Shop around. The prices vary quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Seam-Fo.../dp/B003AJQSPO
Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dalronix View Post
I don't know anything about Jukis but there seems to be a lot of high shank 1/4 foot with guide on ebay. For example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4in-Hig...item2586984866

I don't know it doesn't mention your model but I've found that's not necessarily indicative of it not fitting it.

I have the following rulers excellent for scant 1/4 inch seams:

The Westalee gauge:

http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop...eam-gauge.html

and

the Ezy seam helper

http://www.amazon.com/Seam-Helper-Sc...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
I must have searched really badly because when I looked at ebay I couldn't find one. But there's one! Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cornishlass View Post
I bought a Juki TL98P (the only model available here) a few months ago. It comes with what is described as a 'compensating foot' which is in fact a quarter inch foot. It might be a good idea to double check your box of goodies that came with your machine. I also bought a 3/16" 'compensating foot' on Ebay for the Juki which might also be useful if you really want a scant, scant quarter inch!
Actullay my Juki is an import (and it's actually the 2010Q not -Qi). I don't think it is available in Europe.

I did notice that the compensating foot was close to 1/4". I haven't tried piecing with it though. Have you? I guess I have to try! Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
This is the foot that I bought for my Juki TL2010...love it!!! I had gotten mine on ebay, but it is the same model number. Shop around. The prices vary quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Seam-Fo.../dp/B003AJQSPO
Thanks! Shipping wasn't too bad! I need some sort of guide, I can't sew that accurate without assistance.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
A lot of people on the board use either a block of Post-Its or Command Strips positioned on their footplate to give an exact 1/4" or scant 1/4" and then simply run their fabric against the block - voilą - perfect seams!

Not sure if you have Command Strips - they're not very common here, but Staples carries them as do some DIY chains. Even with postage, you'd probably be cheaper from eBay US. The good thing about them is that they're removable and won't damage your machine.
I've never heard of command strips but I'll look into it! I'll see how my magnetic seam guide works first. If it is sufficient I might stay with that. Got lots of good ideas and suggestions here as usual!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post

Command Strips can be bought at Walmart and noticed that they were also in my local JAF. FYI. I use painter's tape instead of post a notes.