Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
presser foot with lip >

presser foot with lip

presser foot with lip

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Someone mentioned using a presser foot with a lip on left side to maintain 1/4" seams...sounds like something I need, but I've searched on-line and am unable to find one. Please - where did you get it?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Izy

Just search for 1/4" quilting foot, you will find it easily!! :thumbup:
Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Wow, that was quick...thank you.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

The lip would need to be on the right side of the foot, wouldn't it?

The 1/4-inch feet I have seen typically just end at 1/4" or have a marking at the 1/4" point (something you could do yourself with a Sharpie or nail polish on a wide foot). I've tried both of these types and found they were not sufficiently accurate for me.

What I do instead is place a strip of thick moleskin on the base of my machine so I can butt fabric up against it. I put this on straight by first using one of my rulers underneath the presser foot, lowering the machine needle by hand so it is at a scant 1/4", lowering the presser foot, making sure the ruler is aligned straight from front-to-back, and then placing the moleskin by butting it up against the ruler.

(Moleskin can be found in the foot care section of a pharmacy. It comes with a paper-covered adhesive on one side. I prefer the extra-thick moleskin to regular; gives more height.)
Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

The 1/4-inch feet I have seen typically just end at 1/4" or have a marking at the 1/4" point (something you could do yourself with a Sharpie or nail polish on a wide foot). I've tried both of these types and found they were not sufficiently accurate for me.

What I do instead is place a strip of thick moleskin on the base of my machine so I can butt fabric up against it. I put this on straight by first using one of my rulers underneath the presser foot, lowering the machine needle by hand so it is at a scant 1/4", lowering the presser foot, making sure the ruler is aligned straight from front-to-back, and then placing the moleskin by butting it up against the ruler.

(Moleskin can be found in the foot care section of a pharmacy. It comes with a paper-covered adhesive on one side. I prefer the extra-thick moleskin to regular; gives more height.)
I like the moleskin idea but wouldn't that get in the way if you are making garmets and need a 5/8" seam? Is it permanent? I use regular tape. You could also use sticky notes and make it as thick as you want to butt your fabric against and it can be removed.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:43 AM

Check with dealer that sells your make of machine. I have a Pfaff, I wanted to be sure I got the correct foot for my machine. You will really like it.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

I like the moleskin idea but wouldn't that get in the way if you are making garmets and need a 5/8" seam? Is it permanent? I use regular tape. You could also use sticky notes and make it as thick as you want to butt your fabric against and it can be removed.
These are great ideas, Nobody has mentioned anything about helps on that 1/4 inch seam and I have been struggling with it. I bet these ideas really help me big time!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM

The feet with the guide on them are called "1/4 inch foot with guide" They have them for almost all brands of sewing machines on Ebay and Amazon.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Stupid question #501: Is it safe to assume that you need to use a presser foot that is narrow enough that it won't rest on the moleskin?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

this is the one i have for my Janome
http://janome.com/index.cfm/Machines/Accessories/All/1~4_Inch_foot_O_%28front_loading_machines%29