Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pressing clapper

Blog Entries

Pressing clapper

I read the thread on quilting. I have a query. Do you have to use steam in the iron or will a dry iron work?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Some people use steam, others don't. If you feel a need for steam and your iron doesn't have it, you can always spritz the fabric with water.

I like steam because it seems to get the wrinkles out of the fabric faster. But when I travel, I don't have steam available, so I just use the dry iron.

my steam doesn't work as my iron is a cheap dollar store one so I use a spray bottle when ironing. works for me without alot of expense of a new iron

The videos I've seen on using a clapper have all used steam - with the adage that it's not steam that distorts the fabric, but the person pressing, lol.
    I think clappers are difficult to get here, other than eBay.
    Lang may yer lum reek.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    The videos I've seen on using a clapper have all used steam - with the adage that it's not steam that distorts the fabric, but the person pressing, lol.
    I think clappers are difficult to get here, other than eBay.
    I was going to try plained piece of wood covered with and not covered with cotton teaowel. I think they are also ver expensive. But if they really work will twist my cousins arm to make one.( his hobby is wood turning). I just wonder if it works without steam as well. Is it heat or water vapour that sets seam.?
    Lovely to speak to someone in this country.

Blog Entries
    Nancys notions has a tailors clapper. I have had one for several years that I got from Nancys

In my past life of sewing clothes, my husband made me a clapper. I found it to be most effective when using a damp press cloth. I have not thought about using it for quilts.

Blog Entries
    I use the clapper with and without steam. Here is the best price I've found for a clapper: http://maryjos.com/notions/notions-p...er-clapper-771
    Got fabric?

I got a clapper cheap at an estate sale. I usually go if I see one with sewing items....can get some pretty good deals that way!!

Blog Entries
    Knitette in her reply said it is difficult to purchase in England and I'm sure to buy in USA would cost an arm and a leg to post. I will keep looking.
    I have tried it with a dry iron wet starch on fabri and a cotton tea towel around a piece of wood. It definitely made a lovely looking seam. I fact the wood kept on working on othe starched areas wilt the iron. I did not press hard just lay it on top and it did a great job. I think a cousin will be a useful phone call.
    Thank you everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast