Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing/ironing >

Pressing/ironing

Pressing/ironing

Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Have you tried ironing on both sides of the fabric. I have found that sometimes that if I iron the wrong side it gets out those pesky wrinkles. Worth a try.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM

I'm still looking for the iron that will take creases out as well as it puts them in! I had a Reliable that was better than others I've used, but the iron stopped heating, and even after sending it to Canada for repair, it still won't work. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 AM

I worked in a cleaners in high school. I learned how to use the big steam presses. I got spoiled.

I have been through quite a few irons. I remember my mother's first steam iron. It sat on the ironing board and puffed out steam every minute or so. That was on the East Coast where we had a lot of humidity.

Moved to a drier climate and never could get enough steam to suit me. Gave a friend a Rowenta to try. I said it didn't steam, she says it does. I've tried the steam generators - the Rowentas spit, the Reliable doesn't. Even a full blast of steam won't move some of this wrinkle residue. While it's mostly cottons - I've had some permapress fabric keep the residue of a wrinkle. Permapressed muslin does that. I like the stuff. I've made heirloom shirts with it. You need fabric perfectly flat to do lace insertion.

What you have ironed feels hot, but a blast of steam should feel a tad damp.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece View Post
Try spraying the wrinkle with white vinegar before pressing. My mother also used to use white vinegar to set folds of pleats and pantleg creases.
Just what I was going to suggest! It has worked for me!