Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing/ironing >

Pressing/ironing

Pressing/ironing

Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 AM

Default Pressing/ironing

I know the difference. What do you do when nothing gets the wrinkle marks out?

I have a Reliable 100, an ironing board that will pull steam through, a spray bottle, and another wet/dry iron. I've washed and not washed fabric (mostly cotton)

The actual wrinkle is flat. The fabric isn't pooched, the threads are straight, but the mark from the wrinkle is still there. It's like the fold in fabric. Sometimes washing the fabric removes the fold mark, sometimes it doesn't. The actual fold is gone, but the mark is still there. It isn't a fade mark, either. How do you get rid of that mark? I wind up using a lot of steam, pressure and spray, and the mark won't go. This makes it difficult for me to just "press" when nothing moves those marks. It's hard to believe the iron is even working! It's usually on light colors and solids.

I wind up stretching fabric when I don't want to.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 AM

Try spraying the wrinkle with white vinegar before pressing. My mother also used to use white vinegar to set folds of pleats and pantleg creases.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 AM

It may be something that will never come out. Can you cut around it? That may be your only choice. I would try the white vinegar first and if that doesn't work use your scissors. It may be permanent and may reappear after your quilt is washed a couple of times. How big is it? Can you quilt over it? Just a couple of ideas. Good luck.
Sue
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 AM

There are some wrinkles that really never come out. I have had a few in my day that I tried every trick in the book , washing, spraying with water, white vinegar.. eventually I just had to cut around the wrinkle.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 AM

have you tried starch
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If the fabric is still flat, just work with it anyway. Chances are good you will never notice it when it's into the block then into the top. And even if you do, it will likely be MUCH less noticeable to you when the whole quilt is washed, especially if you use cotton batting. I have a feeling that you are just pretty fixated on the 'wrinkles' at present.

Jan in VA
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece View Post
Try spraying the wrinkle with white vinegar before pressing. My mother also used to use white vinegar to set folds of pleats and pantleg creases.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. Or, worst case, wet the fabric really well and iron dry. With the vinegar. If that doesn't work - I think you might be stuck with that wrinkle.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM

I spray the wrinkles well (with water, starch, whatever I'm using), then roll up the fabric and put it in a plastic bag for 30 minutes to an hour. This lets the sprayed droplets penetrate the fabric evenly on its own. When I take the fabric out of the bag and press it, out come the stubborn wrinkles! If you aren't going to be able to get back to it within the hour, you can store it in the freezer (bag and all) until you are ready.

Are you sure it's still a wrinkle and not a faded mark where the wrinkle used to be?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM

No, it's a wrinkle - probably one I put there myself by stuffing everything in a bag to get it out of my way to clean. Or keep the cats off. Some bolts have the fabric wound funny and you will get a wrinkle here and there.

I'll try the vinegar. I usually do use the fabric.

I've had the same thing using cotton for shirts. I color block and embroider. I like all the wrinkles out before I embroider.

Does climate have anything to do with how fast or hard something wrinkles? It's dry here and in the winter, even drier in the house with forced air.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Try Mary Ellen's Best Press. It is a spray, kind of like a starch. It works great taking out even the center crease in bolt fabric.