Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seams open or to the side: an answer! >

Pressing seams open or to the side: an answer!

Pressing seams open or to the side: an answer!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM

Definitely let the block pave the way as far as determining press open or closed. I'm kinda into the history of quilts and remember reading that since most older quilts were hand pieced they were pressed to one side to help strengthen the seam. Especially with mini quilts or wall hangings pressing open makes more sense as these are made to be hung. In the end it is everyone's personal preference.

I love this site, you girls and guys are so stimulating and entertaining!! I've bookmarked more links from here! :D

Happy Quilting!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 AM

What i've always heard was-back when everything was done by hand, seams were pressed to the side because it increased the strength of the seam and gave it more stability. with todays modern techniques its probably not as much of an issue. Me- i press them to the side unless there is too much bulk. JMHO
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

My stitch in the ditch is sewing one thread off the seam line. I like pressing seams open, the block stays flat.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I do lots of mini's and like you "Lucy ITS" don't like burning my fingers when pressing seams open. So to reduce bulk I have started to press to the side and then grade the seam (trim seam allowance closest to the inside). I still have my seam bump to use, but less fabric over all.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 PM

Poly batting beards unless it is pretty heavily bonded. Even then, it sometimes occurs with laundering.

I make exceptions, but most of the time I press to one side.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM

:D Good to know, thanks!

judee
Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
I do lots of mini's and like you "Lucy ITS" don't like burning my fingers when pressing seams open. So to reduce bulk I have started to press to the side and then grade the seam (trim seam allowance closest to the inside). I still have my seam bump to use, but less fabric over all.
Have wondered about grading but never see anything about it in instructions for quilting. Used that a lot with clothing. Need to take classes and find out all these tips, might be able to keep my points nice and pointy :roll:
Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bluebird
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Have wondered about grading but never see anything about it in instructions for quilting. Used that a lot with clothing. Need to take classes and find out all these tips, might be able to keep my points nice and pointy :roll:
Bluebird--I just figured that sometimes mini seams are trimmed to 1/8", so why not compromise and grade the seam allowance instead. I wouldn't recommend it for large quilts as the short seam allowance may cause the seam to ravel too close to the stitching from constant wear and tear.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 AM

I press both ways open and to the side depending on the bulk.
Back seams in clothes are pressed open and you sit on them all the time so they are strong enough to hold.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 PM

I have pressed open on a few occasions after reading this
http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...SeamsOpen.html
but generally to one side.