Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: pressing seams open

pressing seams open

I recently began work on a churn dash blocks and read somewhere to press the seams open; I have done so and completed most of my blocks. Now I read that I should press the seams toward the dark fabric or away from the center. Will I be okay with the seams pressed open? I don't think I have the energy to make changes required to change what I have already done.

Haha, there is no "right" way. If it looks good, you did it right.

Power Poster
    Pressing to the dark side was the traditional way. The quilt seams were done this way because they were stronger when piecing was done by hand. Now that we sew and quilt by MACHINE it is not necessary.

I press seams open all the time, regardless of directions and/or block type. Not a problem in the least. I think it makes any block lay flatter and ultimately easier to quilt, either by hand or machine. Don't fret - it will be fine.

one of the benifits to pressing to one side is nesting the seams so they match up- if you manage to match your seams with them pressed open they are fine- there is no right & wrong- just different- use what ever technique gives you the outcome you are looking for & don't worry about it. there is no reason to do over or change something just because someone recommends a different technique than what you have used.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

Thank you all, ladies! I do remember it said something about the seams laying flatter if pressed open. On with my task!

Blog Entries
    Since I use to make clothes, and seams were allways pressed open, when I started quilting I just kept pressing the block seams open.

I used to hand quilt for a quilt author/TV host and all her seams were pressed open. And her tops were pieced PERFECTLY.
    I am afraid my seams get pressed "Whatever"!

I am of the "press seams open" school. None of my quilts have had issues because I presses open. Go forth .. quilt/sew the way you want.

Some patterns do work better pressed open, but there is one concern. If you plan on stitching in the ditch when quilting, you will just be stitching over thread, not fabric. You could solve this by stitching slightly to one side of the ditch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast