Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pressing seams open? >
  • Pressing seams open?

• Pressing seams open?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sephie
    Have heard great things about the clapper, but not wanting to spend money on another gadget, I found a great tip on a blog (which I can't remember which blogger it was so I can't give credit, sorry!) that if you put a stack of magazines on a freshly pressed seam, it gives a super flat press once the fabric has cooled. I sort of assembly line mine, where I can usually press 3-4 seams and have piles of magazines on each, and then rotate to move them off one by one to my quilting table to continue being flattened until completely cool. It's working out pretty well!
    I have read that too, using books though. I get the biggest ,thickest book we have and set it on top of my blocks and leave them until I work on them again, seems to help.

I press my seams to the side also because that's what I was taught, however for my next hand quilting project I will definitely press open to avoid bulk.
    Old 03-03-2016, 08:27 PM

I almost always press the seam open. A friend who does Quilts of Valor sends them to a woman who will only accept the quilts on her longarm if they are pressed open. So, I follow that advice. Also, Nancy Zieman shows how she does this. I have had no problem with batting coming up through the seams.
    Old 03-04-2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC
    I almost always press the seam open. A friend who does Quilts of Valor sends them to a woman who will only accept the quilts on her longarm if they are pressed open. So, I follow that advice. Also, Nancy Zieman shows how she does this. I have had no problem with batting coming up through the seams.
    I have not heard of a L/Aer who refuses to accept quilts unless the seams are pressed open. My l/a will drill thru any thickness of a seam........I would have not had many clients if that were my "rule".
    Old 03-04-2016, 08:14 AM

I recently did a quilt with 15 rows of blocks to join. On the odd numbered rows I pressed to the left, on even numbered rows I pressed to the right.
    had never done this before but decided to give it a try, the blocks did join up better, but not 100%, but thats just me.
    Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 AM
    Power Poster

Jenny from MSQC says the seams were pressed to one side because of the possibility of the batting coming through. HOWEVER, she says with the quality of batting now, this doesn't happen.
    Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 PM

Interestingly, this topic came up at the LQS this week among several of us. We did some checking out of a BOM the LQS has going on that uses 6" blocks that are complex--we decided that as long as you did not plan on SID the whole blocks, that pressing to one side works just fine when the block doesn't have lots of seams but when it does, pressing them open. The owner of the LQS uses something called a pressing stick that allows her to do this easily without getting burnt fingers!