Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressing seams open...what a PAIN

Looks like I could roll some insulbrite andquick stitch the ends....???

I'll give it a try soon and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    Bought this at a show this year and it is great. No more burnt fingers

I have found my mini iron to be extremely helpful when I have tedious pressing to do. I used it a lot making bias for a recent applique project.

I only press seams open if there is going to be a lot of bulk somewhere along the seam. It does really help with that, otherwise I see no real benefit to pressing open.

And to think I donated two sewing hams, didn't think of using them for quilting. I have plenty of room to store them. Oh well, too many years they have been gone to worry about it now.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I know this would bring the Quilt Police, but I just don't do open seams. But I still consider myself a beginner so, I don't really do complicated patterns that would require it. I depend on the seams "locking" to help line up patterns. I do a sample block to figure out which direction works best, it's not always to the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I press the seam open with a dry iron, turn to right side and spritz on water with a spray bottle. No steam to burn my fingers. Pressing open with your fingernail before pressing helps too.
    This is how I do it - opening those seams just takes much longer than pressing to the dark. But, sometimes it's gotta be done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    A strip stick can be helpful: http://thestripstick.com/buy_products . Love mine!
    I love mine too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    I have found my mini iron to be extremely helpful when I have tedious pressing to do. I used it a lot making bias for a recent applique project.
    I also use my mini iron for hard to get to seams. I have a hook right beside my sewing machine just for mini iron as it is so handy to use right at the machine. after pressing open seams w/mini I like to turn my block over and steampress so everything lies flat.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    I also dry iron the seams open without setting them, then flip over, lightly spray with water, then press again. Of course I learned to sew clothing before quilting, so pressing seams open is ingrained in me. I actually like pressing the seams open as opposed to one side because you get a neater seam.

I usually only use steam when starching yardage befor cutting. Using a fine mist for pressing seams helps with the burn issues. You can buy a nice little mister bottle at a dollar store for around a dollar, good investment.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast