Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pressing seams

How do you press seams.....Do you press seams open or to one side..I "try" to press them open but does it matter?? :?:

my mom taught me to press them closed but towards the darker fabric. so if you have a white block attached to a black you would want the seam pressed behind the black so that the bulk doesn't show through the white. Hope you understand that :oops: but not sure if it really matters

Blog Entries

I've seen blocks pressed both ways. I press to the side. I've worked with those that are pressed open and I really didn't care for them. To me, my opinion, the ends of the stitches needed to be backstitched so the stitches didn't come out. But, that's just my opinion.

I press mine open because I like the look better - seems to lay flatter... but have pressed to the side sometimes - not in the same quilt...

I press to the side so that when I am quilting in the the ditch, I am sewing fabric, not just the threads. I press to the darker fabric generally, but may change if I am needing to reduce bulk as I sew seams

It depends on the size of the block. When using small blocks, i press open. All others to the side

I've only ever pressed open when I have 6 or more points joining. I try to press to the darker fabric but if I need to butt two pieces together I may have to press the other way. If that's the case, and the dark fabric shows through, then I just trim so it's not a distraction. :)
    Hope that helps...

Blog Entries
    I sew with a small stitch length and press seams open. It's easier to match seams with them pressed open and I don't have to hassle with remembering to press one seam one way and another the opposite way.

According to the instructors at my LQS, the reason most quilters press to the side is to make the seam stronger. That said, I press to the side...it is quicker, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast