Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Pressing Strip Sets

Try pressing seams open. That seems to work for me. There is no extra bulk on one side that way. I also like the idea of putting a flannel strip down to help hold the fabric straight.

Strip stick is the way I go. It somehow makes it easier and my strips don't bow.

Blog Entries
    A really effective way to control "bowing" of strip sets is in the sewing phase. Sew strip 1 to strip 2 going "top to bottom", Then, sew strip 2 to strip 3 going bottom to top. I made a Trip Around the World with 1 1/2" stops and this technique made it come out perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    Put a single layer of flannel on your ironing board. Then, iron your sets on the flannel. The flannel will help hold the fabric in place and will help make it so it doesn't get distorted.
    Love this idea! Learn something new from this board every day.

Saw a Fons and Porter show this afternoon on our public tv channel. Was allabout pressing strip sets and they recommend that you cut them into shorter pieces instead of one long piece. Makes pressing and keeping them straight a whole lot easier. I am going to remember this trick myself on the next set of strip sets that i do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    It's simply a piece of half round covered with thin batting and muslin. The one I bought is sewn on but I'll bet you could just glue it on the flat side. One lady I met years and years ago just used a plain piece of half round without anything over it. At the time I didn't really get what she was using it for until I saw the demo at the quilt show.
    Thanks, Scissor Queen. I am going to try this. I'm making the Amazing Jelly Roll be Three Dudes, using strips of many different sizes, and this would be a help.

For a strip stick, I went to the building supply and bought a piece of flooring joiner--not sure of the proper name. It is about 1.5 inches wide and sits about .5 inch high and 40 inches long. I bought it in the summer when I was making neck coolers and it fit perfectly for pressing them after turning. I didn't cover it with anything. I also like to cut my fabric on the fold and like to use shorter lengths and don't seem have the problems with pressing.
    Last edited by ewecansew; 10-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.

as usual lots of great info thanks all

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought the "Steady Betty" ironing board. Nothing moves!!!! Nothing bows. No warps. Can do flying geese right now. Can do triangles. Everything is right with the world. Try it. It's amazing!!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3