Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing surface firmness- what do you use? >

Pressing surface firmness- what do you use?

Pressing surface firmness- what do you use?

Old 12-07-2014, 11:54 AM

My ironing board has a firm cover, but what I've been wanting too is a "TAILORS CLAPPER" but when I've checked them out on Amazon it just seemed a bit pricy (29.99) for what it is - a chunk of wood. I decided to pull out my grandmothers old mini ironing board and use it as a weight on my still warm ironed blocks. I let this sit on them until I'm ready to use them in other steps, and it really is nice to have good flat blocks. The type of blocks I'm weighting down as an example are my 4 patch blocks, snow balls, whatever constructed blocks I've worked on that need to be ironed so they aren't unruly. Placing them under the board while still warm is essentially continuing the ironing process with the heat contained in the quilt block, being held in with the wood. I'm including an image from Amazon of a clapper, and a mini ironing board for examples.
Attached Thumbnails tailors-clapper-29.99-amazon.jpg   mini-ironing-board.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

DH said he could make me a clapper. I wanted one with the handle with pointed ends. He checked the price for the good hardwood, the time (he had the tools) to cut and shape it. Hand sanding it smooth and said it would be much cheaper to buy it. I didn't have to wait for him to finish it, which would probably be weeks. LOL
Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 AM

My ironing setup is badly in need of fixing...I have a painted table I intended to turn into a pressing station but when I did tests I discovered that a TON of moisture was going through and sort of puddling on the top of the table. I don't want to totally ruin this table's finish so right now I'm just "making do" with one of those travel iron 'blankets'....it's fine for blocks but terrible for yardage.

I think Jan's post, about the plastic, is the missing element. I guess I didn't think of it because I was afraid it'd melt...? I need to do some more experiments!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 AM

We got a piece of 2' x 4' MDF board, spray basted it, covered it in aluminum foil, 1 layer of batting, and covered it with muslin pulled tight and stapled to the back. I made a removable cover for it and it works great.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I make mine with a thin sheet of plywood or pressboard, covered with a large plastic bag,Jan in VA
I've watched Sharon Schamber's tutorial and have read how Judy Martin made her ironing board, but am stumped by the "plastic bag". Does the bag melt and fuse to the board and padding? Do you lay it on in one thickness or two? Please explain.