Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Prewash batiks?

Blog Entries
    I prewash everything including Batiks. Haven't had any bleed yet but I sure don't like the wierd smell they put off when ironing them. I use just a little of my favorite scented detergent to cover the scent.

Just checked out there site. They have absolutely beautiful fabrics but some of them are way pricey, as much as $9.99/half yard. Ouch!! And Yes, I said half yard.
    Last edited by mdall; 04-22-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed
    It is interesting to me that I have heard many anecdotes (here on the forum and elsewhere) from people saying that quilt shop owners/employees have said there is no need to pre-wash or test for bleeding. It makes me doubt their experience or expertise. Do they say that in order to justify the high price of their fabric, maintaining that it is of the highest quality?
    Interesting question, Dayle. And to take it further, I wonder why shop owners don't test it themselves. They could keep a yes/no data field right alongside their order history so they could tell customers, if asked, whether or not a specific fabric runs. It could easily be done without losing any fabric and only a small amount of time if combined with the prep of each bolt for the shelves. Just make a note on the invoice and do the data entry once a month or so.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I don't pre eash everything but Batiks really should be because of the dyes etc. Be safe not sorry! Have a quilting fun day!
    Maggi Taffi

Blog Entries
    I may not always pre wash all fabrics but I do "always" prewash these and hand dyed fabrics. I haven't used any additive in them but I do wash them just to make sure.
    Judy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4