Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: prewash

should i prewash my material before making my placemats?

jeanette

From personal experience, I think it might be a good idea. I made table runners one year; it was the first sewing I had done in a long time. I didn't wash the fabric. Needless to say, things got spilled and they needed washed. Unfortunately, some of the fabric shrank and some didn't, so now they're a little wonky. :(

Shrinkage, color changes, odd chemicals used in fabric finishes... Why take a chance? I always prewash.

if i don't have but about 2 yards, would it be ok to wash or soak it in the sink than to use the washer. i really don't want to wash the fabric with my clothing. and also would ultra gain be harsh to use for the first wash?

Blog Entries
    Wash the fabric with whatever you will be using in the future, that way there is no surprises when you go to wash them the first time. Handwashing should not be an issue, but I would put the fabric in the dryer to preshrink it.

When you want to shrink something in the wash it never happens and if you don't want to shrink something it does anyway!

I pre wash all my fabric before I use it. It comes home and goes straight into the washer and then dryer before it gets added to my stash. :)