Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewashing flannel >

Prewashing flannel

Prewashing flannel

Old 10-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Prewashing flannel

I have question- I want to use a flannel layer cake for a baby quilt but knowing the shrinking properties of flannel I want to know if I should prewash and if I should, how would you suggest I do it?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 PM

It's been my experience that higher quality flannel doesn't shrink very much. Even the quilters flannel sold at joannes has little shrinkage, about 3-4 inches over 7 yards. The quilt shop stuff was about 2-3 inches over 7 yards, often less. Joannes snuggle flannel shrunk about 7 inches over 7 yards. If you are combining
flannel with regular cotton on a quilt top, I would definitely preshink.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Are you using 10 inch precuts? Is that what you mean buy layer cake? I don't think I would prewash a precut (sounds weird, doesn't it). I would think that once it is pieced and quilted it should be OK. Could you ask the people where you bought the layer cake?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I never pre-wash pre=cuts. I've used lots of flannel over the years without pre-washing and have never had any problems with the end result- my sister's flannel crazy quilt I made even had a mixture of pre-washed, not pre-washed and regular cottons- the quilt is beautiful, and has been washed many times. shrinkage is one of those things that is 'relative' the batting, backing, and density/type of quilting all play their parts. I would wash the finished quilt in cool water & tumble dry on low heat- it will turn out fluffy, soft, warm & cozy.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

If you machine quilt moderately, the batting will prevent flannel from shrinking more than the batting shrinks. I would not prewash pre-cuts. What kind of batting are you planning on using? As long as your quilting lines are not more than 3" to 4" apart, you should be fine.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:42 PM

I would worry about bleeding as much as I would worry about shrinking. Therefore, the minimum I would do would be to soak in the sink to check.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Washing the quilt for the first time with Synthrapol in a machine that uses a ***lot*** of water should take care of any bleeding issues. The problem with soaking in water is that the flannel can distort and/or shrink even with that exposure. Wouldn't be a huge problem with yardage, but with precuts any shrinkage can throw off the cutting and piecing.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:56 PM

I didn't prewash the last flannel I used (FQs from Connecting Threads). Had little shrinkage, and even the deep indigo pieces didn't bleed.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Another reason to pre-wash flannel is to find out if it is going to pill. If it does, I don't want it to show in my quilt, so it gets relegated to batting.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mimmis57 View Post
I have question- I want to use a flannel layer cake for a baby quilt but knowing the shrinking properties of flannel I want to know if I should prewash and if I should, how would you suggest I do it?
my suggestion would be to lay the pieces in the bottom of the tub, add super hot water to cover by a couple inches.--Presort of color in case of bleeding. Let them sit, then rinse. Don't move them around much to prevent raveling. Hang them to dry over a porch rail or at least as flat as you can