Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
prewashing >

prewashing

prewashing

Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 AM

Default prewashing

I know some do, some don't I personally didn't but since I joined a quilt guild this past summer, our community projects require prewashing, and so I started prewashing all my fabric so my question is.... maybe a dumb one, do you open the full width fabric or leave it as it came off the bolt and put it in the washer? this is what I been doing left it folded as it came off the bolt serge the raw edges then washed.thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

i open the fabric up, but that's just me. i think it helps soften the fold from being on the bolt
Old 11-04-2013, 06:07 AM

I have to wash some 108" wide fabric today for shrinkage purposes. It's going on the back of a memorial quilt, made from clothing that has been laundered many times. Any helpful hints to make this a more manageable task?

Hope you don't mind that I piggybacked your thread, Mandyrose. The topic seemed similar to me.

Last edited by DebraK; 11-04-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 AM

I like to open up the fabric , as the manufactures fold can be tough to get rid of. The washing and drying open helps to work out that fold.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 AM

opening up the fabric makes sense as I just took a load of darks out of the dryer and sure enough there is a white line going the whole length on the fold.... ugh! should I cut the whole 2 yrds on that fold ?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:35 AM

I wouldn't do that. You can probably work around it when you cut your pieces.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I do the same. Couple times I just threw the fabric as it was folded then directly into dryer. Was difficult to get crease out so I rewashed again and threw a color catcher in again. More color came out and was happy I did that but relaxed the crease so no more crease.
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i open the fabric up, but that's just me. i think it helps soften the fold from being on the bolt
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 AM

When prewashing, I avoid the dreaded thread tangle by pinking all raw edges with a rotary pinking blade. I also take the fabric out of the dryer before it's 100% bone dry to avoid a wrinkled mess that's hard to fold.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I open it up as well. Not only to help get rid of the crease but to ensure that no creases capture loose dye or fail to release the loose dye. As a LAQ I also greatly prefer prewashers to non. There is nothing more awful than to spritz out a mark of water soluble marker only to see the fabric you spritzed start bleeding.

To DebraK, with wide back I also open up as much as possible and layer it in the washing machine like I would a sheet or any other large item. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do wide back. They are a pain no matter what. I try to take it out prior all the way dry and then iron it (also a pain!). It is easier to fold if you enlist a helper but if not I just fold the best I can.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 AM

I wash almost 100% of my fabric. About the only time I do not, is if the amount of fabric in a kit is questionable, then I will leave it unwashed. I always unfold it and usually starch it as I am ironing it so it has the "sizing" feel of new fabric again and helps sooooo much with bias cuts (1/2 sqs., etc.) If I am planning to store the fabric for some time (ie--aging required!!), then I do not starch until ready to use.

DebraK, I wash extra wide for backings the same like 42". Basically wash it like you would your bedsheets. The bigger challenge is pressing it but I often fold it in half and then flip to get the other side. I have a bigger top (ironing board thingy) placed on my regular ironing board.