Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: Pricing quilts?

  1. #21
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,081
    Blog Entries
    3
    Sarah, you have hit the nail right on the head.

    besides, different methods come and go in popularity. crazy quilts started out as a "fad" then "went away" for years. now they're all the rage again. what started out as a way to use up scraps and show off embroidery skills has turned into a "technique", complete with books, patterns and classes. go figure. 8)

  2. #22
    rebeerose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20
    My Sister-in-law and I make and sell quilts here in the Southwestern New York State ( 2hrs south of Buffalo). We have found that you need to talk to find out how quilts will sell in your area and what the people are willing to pay. Here, we sell for a baby quilt (40"x40") for $145. And King size (110"x110") we sell for $400. That is for tied quilts. If they were machine quilted we coulod charge $150 more for each. Lap quilts (5'x5') is $165, twin sell for $200, and Queen is $300. Check with quilt shop owners in your area are your local chamber of commerce. They should give you some idea of what to sell your quilts for. One quilt shop owner here told me that add your cost of all the material, and then add on $10/ hr for your labor and time. that should equal the price of your quilt. But it does depend on your area where you are living and the cost of living in that area. Hope this helps you! Beckie

  3. #23
    Senior Member Extreme Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    383
    Quiltmaker, your quilt is stunning.

  4. #24
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeerose
    My Sister-in-law and I make and sell quilts here in the Southwestern New York State ( 2hrs south of Buffalo). We have found that you need to talk to find out how quilts will sell in your area and what the people are willing to pay. Here, we sell for a baby quilt (40"x40") for $145. And King size (110"x110") we sell for $400. That is for tied quilts. If they were machine quilted we coulod charge $150 more for each. Lap quilts (5'x5') is $165, twin sell for $200, and Queen is $300. Check with quilt shop owners in your area are your local chamber of commerce. They should give you some idea of what to sell your quilts for. One quilt shop owner here told me that add your cost of all the material, and then add on $10/ hr for your labor and time. that should equal the price of your quilt. But it does depend on your area where you are living and the cost of living in that area. Hope this helps you! Beckie
    This is good information. I sat down with a calculator...

    Based upon the speed (or lack of) that I quilt... That 250,000 dollars is way too low a price for my quilt. Sorry.

    tim in san jose

  5. #25
    Carla P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeerose
    My Sister-in-law and I make and sell quilts here in the Southwestern New York State ( 2hrs south of Buffalo). We have found that you need to talk to find out how quilts will sell in your area and what the people are willing to pay. Here, we sell for a baby quilt (40"x40") for $145. And King size (110"x110") we sell for $400. That is for tied quilts. If they were machine quilted we coulod charge $150 more for each. Lap quilts (5'x5') is $165, twin sell for $200, and Queen is $300. Check with quilt shop owners in your area are your local chamber of commerce. They should give you some idea of what to sell your quilts for. One quilt shop owner here told me that add your cost of all the material, and then add on $10/ hr for your labor and time. that should equal the price of your quilt. But it does depend on your area where you are living and the cost of living in that area. Hope this helps you! Beckie

    This is good information. I sat down with a calculator...

    Based upon the speed (or lack of) that I quilt... That 250,000 dollars is way too low a price for my quilt. Sorry.

    tim in san jose
    So, do you have the first Million Dollar quilt?? If so, how much are you going to charge us to see it?

  6. #26
    Senior Member k_jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay area CA
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla P

    So, do you have the first Million Dollar quilt?? If so, how much are you going to charge us to see it?
    Let's see. There must be a million quilters here on this board... $1.00 a piece and I will donate the quilt to the charity of choice for y'all to auction off... if I ever get it done (No 'f' words here).

    tim in san jose

  7. #27
    Senior Member mary705's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pinellas Park, FL
    Posts
    620
    Beautiful quilt, quiltmaker

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    398
    quiltmaker I think you need to talk to a different insurance co. or hang it on the wall and call it art for the appraisal because that is what it is. I think the $850.00 appraisal is more like it and that even seems low. I saw some selling a smaller quilt-top for $750.00 I can't remember who it was. It was some one who'd had her work featrured on one of the pbs. sewing shows. And the work she was selling was nice but like I said It was only the top not even quilted. I think like Tricia said to go with your gut for the price you could feel comfortable parting with it.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    398
    rebecca If someone asked me how much I'd charge them for a quilt I believe I would have to answer the Q with the Q "How much do you think it would be worth?" If they are serious I'd expect a serious offer. If the offer was ridiculously low I would wonder about their qualification to be a recipient of fine art. :lol: Like if they are looking for a dog blanket Wallyworld, or even better, Big-Lots sells quilt look-a-likes for about $12.00. I'd let them know about how long it takes to do 1 square. to start with and let them add that up for themselves at whatever rate you consider worth your time. And mention the cost of materials and the cost of time you might spend on the quilting. If this person seems serious enough I might indicate I would be open to negotiation. :twisted: :arrow: :thumbup: Of course this is a moot point if you are not availiable to do the work. But having an opportunity to eduacate a non-quilter about what it actually takes to create a "one of a kind" masterpiece in the medium of fabric art would certainly be it's own reward don't ya think?

  10. #30
    Super Member vicki reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,141
    I am just completing (no "F" words out of my mouth) a 16 block lap/sofa quilt. It has taken almost 2 months of my free time. Unfortunately, if I were to seel this, no one would pay me for the time invested in it, so I just give them away and know the joy I have given the person getting the quilt.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.