Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "batting" for rag quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22batting%22-rag-quilts-t74173.html)

illinois 11-04-2010 05:01 AM

Am wondering if anyone has experience using old receiving blankets or sheet blankets for the middle layer on rag quilts instead of putting batting there. Are those fabrics woven loosely enough that they would fray out like the outside pieces? If so, they could be cut the same size as the blocks and would add to the fringe. (I'm assuming everyone knows what a sheet blanket is--kinda the same fabric as a receiving blanket for baby but for use on a big bed, sometimes between the sheet and the blanket--s'pose that's where it got it's name?!)

dungeonquilter 11-04-2010 05:03 AM

I have used old flannel sheets for "batting" in rag quilts. They work very well for this. I cut them the same size as the fabric for the blocks.

cherylynne 11-04-2010 05:04 AM

I've used flannel for the middle layer, so I suppose the sheets or receiving blankets will work. It's good to repurpose things!!

Maride 11-04-2010 05:05 AM

I have never done it, but usually when I make a rag quilt I use flannel. I think adding the sheet blanket may make the seams very thick and very difficult to cut for fraying. I snip mine after is cut, not before. I am always afraid the edges will bend and I hate frogging. I guess you could make something small to try and add to it if you like it.

ckcowl 11-04-2010 06:44 AM

as long as they are cotton they work fine. if they have any polyester in them they do not fray like you want...you just get unruly strings.

bakermom 11-04-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
Am wondering if anyone has experience using old receiving blankets or sheet blankets for the middle layer on rag quilts instead of putting batting there. Are those fabrics woven loosely enough that they would fray out like the outside pieces? If so, they could be cut the same size as the blocks and would add to the fringe. (I'm assuming everyone knows what a sheet blanket is--kinda the same fabric as a receiving blanket for baby but for use on a big bed, sometimes between the sheet and the blanket--s'pose that's where it got it's name?!)

Off topic -but I haven't heard the words "sheet blanket" in years. grew up using them- lived in an old farm house with little heat.
i always wanted mine under the sheet cause it was warmer than the sheet but no, it had to go between! Also slept under the quilts my grandma made. Still have them, too.

wolfkitty 11-04-2010 09:51 AM

I have a sheet blanket that I love. Now that I'm 'grown up' I can use it as a sheet if I wish, and it is so warm and cozy! Are they still out there?

Katia 11-04-2010 10:35 AM

I have always just used flannel. White flannel is cheap at Walmart.

amma 11-04-2010 05:38 PM

As long as they are 100% cotton, go for it :D

I have several sheet blankets, you can still find them :D:D:D