Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Turkey" Quilt help needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22turkey%22-quilt-help-needed-t61655.html)

Lisa773 08-27-2010 09:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I would appreciate any advice on continuing this quilt. I have hit a deadend.
I considered appliquéing pumpkins around the bottom (2nd pic), but I don't like how it looks, even though none of the stitching has been done on them. And I have very minimal/no experience with appliqué. My original design idea was to make fabric pumpkins (3d effect) and attach them to the quilt, but I have found that I cannot make any of them look like pumpkins. So I moved on to appliqué. I would love to hear any other suggestions to finish this quilt. I'd really love to have the pumpkins at the bottom with vines and leaves curling up towards the top on either side. Is there an easier or different way than appliqué? Would using green thread and stitching the vines and leaves show up? I know I am rambling, so I'll stop now and watch for ideas. Thanks.

franie 08-27-2010 09:41 AM

I have to agree that mid block is too much white and the turkey is lost in all that white. I like the idea of something appliqued below the turkey.

Grammy o'5 08-27-2010 09:45 AM

Looks to me like you have a great start! :thumbup: Maybe the pumpkins would look better if you embroider or quilt in the curved vertical lines that pumpkins have. I think the leaves, (in greens, as well as fall colors) and curly vines are also great ideas. Maybe move the pumpkins up a little from that edge to give room for the leaves along the bottom of the pumpkins.
Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished quilt. :D

Kas 08-27-2010 09:46 AM

I would make the turkey bigger and turn him the other way so he fills more of the space himself. Maybe bunches of dried corn in the corners?

JenniePenny 08-27-2010 09:55 AM

Very nice turkey. This looks to be a wall hanging, or a table topper - correct? If so, you won't be washing it as often as you would for a lap quilt and the applique doesn't have to be sturdy as steel. You could use the fusible (iron-on) applique for the pumpkins, with just machine stiching around the edges. My suggestion is to go with five or six pumpkins instead of seven, and maybe not use the large white pumpkin.

jbud2 08-27-2010 09:56 AM

Maybe take away some pumpkins and embroider a vine that winds up to the turkey, and maybe add some leaves to the vine to help fill in the area. It might bring the two areas of applique together that way.

sewcrafty 08-27-2010 09:58 AM

The pumpkin idea is cute. I would either sew or draw with fabric marker the curved lines of the pumpkins. As far as using your machine to do the vines and leaves I would do a practice run to see how large they would actually look. You could also do some falling fall colored leaves above the turkey and don't forget the acorns as well.

ScrapQuilter 08-27-2010 09:58 AM

What if you had him sitting on a bale of hay with pumpkins below the hay

Deb watkins 08-27-2010 09:59 AM

What about a pumpkin in each corner with leaves and trailing vines connecting all the corners?

wvdek 08-27-2010 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ScrapQuilter
What if you had him sitting on a bale of hay with pumpkins below the hay

This is a great idea!

I agree tho the white is too much. Needs to be an off white or natural color.

Pumpkins in the corner or corn would be cute too.