Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "White" (brand name) sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22white%22-brand-name-sewing-machine-t155355.html)

May in Jersey 09-24-2011 04:18 AM

My MIL also gave me her White in the early 1960's when she bought a new Singer with all the bells and whistles, she even bought the desk cabinet. It came in a small wood cabinet whose top opened to make a sewing surface. I used it for many years, don't know if it did anything more than straight stitch because that's all I knew how to use back then. Instead of a foot pedal it had a knee lever to start and stop the machine.

wytetygeress 09-24-2011 04:21 AM

I started out on a White quilt star, that i picked up from goodwill for 35 bucks. She was a little picky about how i threaded her. And was very noisy. But She was a good machine.

littlehud 09-24-2011 04:37 AM

I sewed for years on a White sewing machine. Got it when I was a teen. My dad found it in the basement of a house that was going to be torn down. It wouldn't sew when he brought it home so took it in to be overhauled. It just needed a good cleaning and oiled. Only cost $5.00 then. What a find that was.

sewmuchmore 09-24-2011 04:54 AM

Sewing machine back then were made to be work horses. My MIL had one and love it. :-P

dkabasketlady 09-24-2011 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
My MIL also gave me her White in the early 1960's when she bought a new Singer with all the bells and whistles, she even bought the desk cabinet. It came in a small wood cabinet whose top opened to make a sewing surface. I used it for many years, don't know if it did anything more than straight stitch because that's all I knew how to use back then. Instead of a foot pedal it had a knee lever to start and stop the machine.

I'm currently sewing on a White machine that I inherited when my DMIL passed. It was bought brand new in 1964 and still runs like a dream. I have it serviced every year and keep her good and cleaned and oiled. She only does a straight stitch, but that's all I need from her(since I have a back-up that does all the fancy stitches, but rarely ever need them). I hope to have her a LONG time.

quiltingaz 09-24-2011 04:57 AM

I sewed on my old white for years. It did the basic stitches and buttonholes. I traded up to a more deluxe machine about 25 years ago but never had any trouble with mine.

kerrytaylor 09-24-2011 05:30 AM

I think I need to get back to the store this morning and take a closer look. Haven't been able to get it off of my mind. Thanks to the QB it never crossed my mind to have a back up - you know, perfect world and all. I wasn't thinking but I see it posted here often. Yikes! Thanks for your helpful information and wish me luck!

gramajo 09-24-2011 06:29 AM

I learned to sew on my grandmother's treadle White machine. Sure wish I still had it.

crashnquilt 09-24-2011 06:39 AM

My first sewing machine is a White. In fact, it's White 2221. I worked for almost a year to save the $600+ (back then that was a lot of money)

Now this machine has been thru the mill and back, dropped, moved, in a car wreck, stored, caught out in rain and the list goes on.

I've taught many people how to sew on my White. It weighs about like a Mac truck and sews like a dream to this day.

Back in "those days" White was the "affordable" Husqvarna Viking machine.

mtnative 09-24-2011 08:17 AM

My treadle is a White as is my serger. To be honest I haven't used the treadle but love my serger.