Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "White" (brand name) sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22white%22-brand-name-sewing-machine-t155355.html)

kerrytaylor 09-23-2011 08:52 PM

Is anyone familiar with "White" sewing machines? I ran across one this evening at goodwill but am not familiar with that brand name. Do you know who the manufacturer might be? It was rather generic looking - kind of cheap, in fact, I don't know if even had zigzag. It was priced at $29 and since I don't have a backup I'm looking for something to have on hand in case of a catastrophe.

Quiltlady330 09-23-2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Is anyone familiar with "White" sewing machines? I ran across one this evening at goodwill but am not familiar with that brand name. Do you know who the manufacturer might be? It was rather generic looking - kind of cheap, in fact, I don't know if even had zigzag. It was priced at $29 and since I don't have a backup I'm looking for something to have on hand in case of a catastrophe.

Many years ago my grandmother had a White. They aren't a new company and used to have a very good name. The wrought iron treadle I have under my FW table (for looks) has 'White' on it so they were around for many years. Sorry I can't help you with quality or price.

PJisChaos 09-23-2011 09:00 PM

I started out on an old White machine that my MIL gave to me. It only did a straight stitch, as the other functions didn't work, but the FMQ on it was beautiful!! That is the one I regret the most as far as getting rid of it. Would make a decent backup, IMHO.

frugalfabrics 09-23-2011 09:00 PM

White Sewing Machine Co has been around since 1865 - Cleveland, OH.

I was just reading a book called White Rotary Sewing Machines...it had some history and the art of sewing in the book.

blueangel 09-23-2011 09:24 PM

I think they are good machines

quilticing 09-24-2011 01:38 AM

That's what I grew up with. Good (heavy) machine and old, old company.

ragqueen03 09-24-2011 01:52 AM

My first sewing machine was a white. Liked it for just basic quilting but then it started acting up - so i got Sally ( a singer with a few extra stitches!) I still have the white and I did take it apart and give her a good cleaning but sadly she just sits in her case. I know she is a good back up if I need her!

NJ Quilter 09-24-2011 02:07 AM

I had one that I purchased in the early 80's. Did the basic straight/zigzag stitches, could make it do buttonholes, etc. Was a good heavy-duty machine and really would sew through just about anything. Kept it as a backup after I got my Viking several years ago. Then I got a FW and having very little space to work with decided the FW was enough of a backup for me so I sold the White to a friend's neighbor for $45. You would probably want to send it in for a tuneup. Around here that's $75-100. So if you're good with that kind of investment, I'd say go for it.

SharBear 09-24-2011 03:06 AM

We have several White machines that are used for charity sewing workshops at Church. One day one of them stopped working - I said I would take it home and see if I could figure it out -- it was FILTHY! I cleaned it well, gave it a drop of oil and she purrred like a kitten!

Definately worth having as a backup!

dd 09-24-2011 03:53 AM

My mother had a White, probably from the 40's or 50's. Not sure if she got it new or not. I still have it in the stand in the attic right now. It's kind of a brownish color, very heavy duty. My brother sewed wool WWII Army uniforms on it. My dad sewed naugahyde on it. It was well used and loved. The belt broke but I wanted to finish my blazar so I just hand turned the wheel to finish most of the blazar. Then daddy decided he would fix it.