Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   [b]Working on first quilt[/b] (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%5Bb%5Dworking-first-quilt%5B-b%5D-t6142.html)

grammo013 04-12-2008 05:44 PM

Hi[b]
I am working on my very first quilt (other than rag quilts) and I have a question please.

When sashing a block is the top and bottom piece the same length as the block or does it extend over under the side sashings?

Love this site. You all have so many great ideas and motivate everyone to try everything.

linda

Lucky Patsy's 04-12-2008 08:50 PM

I am cutting my sashing the same size as my blocks for both the sides and top/bottom and then using a separate square of a different color as a "post" to fill up each corner and add interest.

patricej 04-13-2008 02:03 PM

Patsy's Mom has described one way to sash; you have describe another acceptable method; a third way is to have the side sashing match the height of the blocks, while the sashing between the rows is one long strip that runs the width of the quilt; a fourth ways to sash each block across the top and bottom, then have the vertical sashes run the entire length of the quilt.

my point? there isn't one right or wrong way. whatever is pleasing to your eye and within your skillset is just fine. :P

grammo013 04-13-2008 05:07 PM

:D ty so much glad there is no quilt police here lol
they was telling me it could only be done one way and i forgot what they said. will try out all of them to see what i like the looks of.

when you sash on all sides with the corners filled does the corner extend for two blocks or do you do each seperatly with a double width of binding in the sashing rows ?

S orry if I am a pest but appreciate anything you can help me with.

linda

Elizabeth A. 04-13-2008 05:17 PM

Each way of shashing produces a unique look. Such as a single color where you really want all the seems to blend creating an over all uniform appearance. Or deliberate constast such as "attic window" which is there you attach two different sashing matericals one to the left and the other to the bottom side and miter them together. Then when you sew all your blocks together it gives the entire thing a three dimensional appearance. Can you tell the last is my current choice? There is one true way as others have mentioned.

Another way is to sew four strips one to each side of the bock and have squares of a different color in the corners. Simply run a search for sashing techniques and you will find lots and lots of ways. :D

grammo013 04-20-2008 06:50 AM

still have it on my design wall it is so hard to decide lol have walked away for a few days and will let you know what I decide.

son gave me a digital camera so I could post but brat forgot to tell me battery dead. As soon as I get paid will get one and post.

Thanks again for all the help

Linda

Lucky Patsy's 04-22-2008 10:07 PM

The corner post counts for two blocks. I sash all blocks with one stip on the right and the bottom, then decide whch ones may need more sides sashed after laying them out.