Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   13"or a 15"Baileys' mid arm machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/13%22-15%22baileys-mid-arm-machine-t87523.html)

snow 01-04-2011 04:55 AM

Does anyone have one of these machine? If so how do you llike it? I am wanting to buy a 15" midarm and don"t know anything about these bailey's machine. I am only quilting for myself on a gracie frame. :-D

kathy 01-04-2011 06:50 AM

I have the 15" on a grace pro frame. I wouldn't waste time/money on the 13".
it's a regular sewing machine (Janome) that has been stretched, very basic, no bells or whistles.
frame quilting takes some getting used to, not as easy as any of think it will be, so as with every other aspect there is a learning curve and it takes a LOT of practice
I have never regreted my purchase, they have come out with a ruler foot for it now so it's getting better all the time for me!
there is a yahoo group, we have discussed all the ina and outs we've had, you can read through there and maybe help ypu decide. I have no experience with any other machine, bought mine site unseen strictly because there is a woman on here names June who has one and she went on and on about it, she's good advertisement for them.

rivka 01-04-2011 09:32 AM

I have a 15" Bailey on a Little Gracie II frame. I love the fact that it allows me to finish my quilts quickly, and move on to the next one. As kathy said, it's a machine with no bells and whistles; I use mine pretty much only for pantographs, and it's great for that. I've tried doing ruler work and other stuff, and just couldn't get the hang of it. There's definitely a learning curve with any long-arm -- don't expect to get it and then start turning out professional work immediately! :)

I do occasionally have frustrations with it; sometimes it's due to my own errors, and other times the machine (which I call The Beast) is just being persnickety. Anytime I get frustrated, though, I just remind myself that working on the frame is still much faster than hand-quilting, and easier than trying to quilt it on my regular machine. I definitely think having a Bailey is worth it.

IrishNY 01-04-2011 03:58 PM

Apparently, I am wasting my time on the 13" but I have it and like it. I have had it for close to a year, bought it used, got a good deal and haven't had any trouble. I just wanted to be able to quilt my own tops rather than send them out. It got pretty expensive and since I didn't have to spend time quilting, I could piece even more tops and then had more that needed quilting and so on... I have the stitch regulator and I recommend it.

Mary L Booth 05-22-2011 03:09 AM

I just purchased the Bailey 13, I have not quilted with it. I tested it on the table with the thread he sent, but I like Meridia size 40 thread, do you know what tension to set it on for that. Also do you use the same size in the bobbin. I can't get a the bobbin to wind smooth.
Thank you
Mary in TX

Shawn 02-18-2012 02:14 PM

i bought the Bailey 15 a year ago, and I cant use it... it wont work call and no answer and the ONE time i got threw i hear Goats in the back ground he tells me to buy the stitch regulator, so i did and it still will not work...wont even pick up the bobbin thread