Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   5" squares: would you buy and what would you pay? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/5-squares-would-you-buy-what-would-you-pay-t215365.html)

Bataplai 03-03-2013 11:15 AM

5" squares: would you buy and what would you pay?

My friend and I have an opportunity to buy a few boxes of fabric cut into 5" squares. It's a huge variety of fabrics from animals to holiday to florals, etc. I was thinking it would make great scrappy quilts, half square triangles, and piano key borders. We were thinking about selling what we won't use on Ebay. If we do, what are your thoughts on buying 5" squares? If you would buy:
1) Would you want them separated into lots of so many squares?
2) Would you want them separated by color/theme/coordinating/???
3) Would you rather have a large lot of theme or color and you get to choose how many of each fabric goes into your order?
4) Should a lot be 20 squares? 50 squares? and how much would you pay?
5) Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Holice 03-03-2013 11:31 AM

I would calculate the yardage represented by the squares and then consider some cost for cutting. 60 is about a yard of fabric.

PaperPrincess 03-03-2013 11:31 AM

5" squares are called charm squares, which are a common precut size. Many fabric manufacturers make charm packs from their fabric lines, but you are looking to put more random fabrics together. Look on ebay for 'quilting charm packs' they have non-pre packaged charm packs. You can see pricing, quantities etc.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-03-2013 11:40 AM

Charm packs containing 40 - 42 squares of a fabric line are around $8 and up. Because you are not a major seller and are not selling a known fabric line, I think you would have to be cheaper.

I would buy them sorted into lots by theme (christmas, I-spy, reproductions) or color but it would have to be cheaper than new price.

Bataplai 03-03-2013 04:55 PM

Thanks for the input everyone... I really appreciate it. The fabric is more than either of us will use, so unless we can sell some of it we're not interested in buying. I'll keep you posted. :)

GagaSmith 03-03-2013 06:15 PM

You could probably sell some here on the board. I would be interested in ispy charms if you want to pm me.

rush88888 03-03-2013 08:08 PM

i can't imagine that the work you put into sorting these 5" squares would be worth your time. i would sell a hunk of them for a certain price. to show what they generally look like, just fan them for the picture. you could also keep the same picture for everything and state that it is representative and that the content of the package will vary. perhaps you can sell them by weight, and figure out how much a pound or a yard is. sorting them would probably hurt your hands after awhile. another thought...how sure are you that the squares are cut accurately?

Bataplai 03-04-2013 07:02 AM

We decided to pass on the fabric. It was $150 and sorting through to get what we want then putting into some kind of package to sell wasn't worth it. If she was willing to go down on her price, I would have gone for it. If she gets back to me with a lower price, I will post some of the fabric on here for sale. Thanks again for all the input!