Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   505 Spray back or front first? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/505-spray-back-front-first-t205605.html)

Tartan 11-10-2012 06:58 AM

505 Spray back or front first?

I spray basted my first small quilt with a polyester batt yesterday in the garage. I hung the back, sprayed, added batt, sprayed and smooth on the top. It worked well and I have it quilted. After I was done:D I noticed on the can that you are supposed to do the front first and then the rest. How do you do it?

susie-susie-susie 11-10-2012 07:08 AM

I do the back, the batting, then the front. I find the center of each part and line them up. That way the design on the back is always centered. Not sure if that is the "correct" way, but it works for me.
Sue

carslo 11-10-2012 07:09 AM

I do the backing to the batt and then spray the batt and smooth the top. I am on my nd case of 505 in the red can from France. Same product but far less expensive here in USA. I know you are in my homeland, so likely it isn't an option for you. I use a ping pong table for sandwiching now and I am going to try the Elmer Washable glue method soon! (When I run out of 505). I find that cotton batts work better than poly with the 505, but am so glad that someone here on the forum told us about it!

bigsister63 11-10-2012 07:19 AM

I spray the backing first, smooth down the batting (I use Hobbs 80/20) then spray the back of the top and smooth that to the batting. I lay the top on the batting getting it fairly smoth, then fold down about 1/2 of the top, spray, and smooth, then fold and spray and smooth the other half. I thought that you were not to spray the batting directly especially poly batting. .

Tartan 11-10-2012 07:34 AM

Not use it on polyester? Opps another boo boo for me. I bought it for the occasional quilt that I have a "puffy" request for. It worked fine to hold a small pre-printed panel quilt that I quilted. I prefer my Hobbs 80/20 fusible for myself but I will try regular 80/20 batt with the 505 next.

BeckyB 11-10-2012 07:40 AM

I just did backing to batting then top and it did not stick to the poly batting so when I started to stipple it it bunched up and I had to do a lot of seam ripping :{

GemState 11-10-2012 07:51 AM

I have best luck spraying the batting, not the fabric. I spray the batting that is next to the backing first, then when it is all smoothed out I spray the batting that will be next to the top. I learned a long time ago at a quilting class that when you are smoothing your quilt as you put it together, if you use your arm from fingertips to elbow (instead of just your hand) it works MUCH better.

mltquilt 11-10-2012 06:32 PM

I was watching a video on spray basting a quilt top with 505 and the instructor said to spray the BT and smooth onto the backing and then spray the top of the bat and smooth the quilt top on that and quilt.

mltquilt

grammysharon 11-10-2012 07:27 PM

This is the way I use it too!! I also use Hobbs 80/20 batting and have had no trouble!!!!

Originally Posted by bigsister63 (Post 5647505)
I spray the backing first, smooth down the batting (I use Hobbs 80/20) then spray the back of the top and smooth that to the batting. I lay the top on the batting getting it fairly smoth, then fold down about 1/2 of the top, spray, and smooth, then fold and spray and smooth the other half. I thought that you were not to spray the batting directly especially poly batting. .