Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   5D Quilt Design Creator Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/5d-quilt-design-creator-question-t203939.html)

flo2452 10-22-2012 09:37 AM

5D Quilt Design Creator Question

I am thinking about purchasing an embroidery/sewing machine (not a long arm) and need some advice. I don't want to embroider as much as I want to be able to use quilt designs to quilt my pieced quilt. I assume this can be done (?). Can I quilt a whole quilt top using software?

On Viking's website, I see "5D quilt design creator" software. Does this software only work on Viking embroidery machines? I was looking at the Babylock embroidery machines but I don't see any software that is similiar to the 5D quilt design creator software.

At this point, I am confused. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

PaperPrincess 10-22-2012 10:23 AM

I have had no success in quilting a completed top with my embroidery machine, although many others do so. BTW, as far as the machine is concerned, a quilting design and embroidery design are the same thing. You have to hoop each embroidery design separately. I can't seem to get the weight off the arm so the embroidery unit can do its thing, and also have problems getting the embroidery in the right place. I have done quilt as you go with my embroidery machine, quilting the blocks individually, then joining, which worked out well, but not a whole quilt.
As far as the 5D quilt design creator package, it looks like it will create a design that you can stitch out on a computerized quilter or an embroidery machine. The previous verson for the Qbot will put out a .hus embroidery file that you can use on your embroidery machine AS LONG AS IT FITS IN THE HOOP!!! I would contact your local Viking dealer. He/She should be able to give you a demo and explain what it does.

TinkerQuilts 10-22-2012 11:14 AM

I use my Brother Duetta to make quilt blocks, mostly for baby quilts. I believe Brother is the only sewing/emb machine that can embroider Disney designs - which is one of the reasons I went w/Brother. Love the machine.
When you make quilt blocks, a square is stitched around each finished block. I trim 1/2 inch from the square/lines, match them up and sew them together using the lines (hope that makes sense). Also, when you are embroidering the designs, you can lay a piece of batting down so it stitches the design right into your quilt sandwich (top fabric, batting, stabilizer & backing fabric). Very important to go to lots of classes which they should offer free when you buy any machine. My sewing machine shop has a monthly embroidery class that I always try to go to, and I'm still learning new things after 2 years, and I've accumulated 200 or so design collections (40 of them are for quilting). You can see them at www.anitagoodesignonline.com, and I think they are compatible with almost any sewing/embroidery machine. You just have to get the correct format for your machine. Good luck!!

craftychick 10-22-2012 02:26 PM

I want to do the same thing. I want to embroider outline quilt designs on my quilts instead of longarming. I just bought a very gently used Babylock Ellageo sewing/embroidery machine. It was used for less than a year and the previous owner traded up to an $8000. Babylock sewing/emb machine. I absolutely love it. It is so easy to use and understand the directions on the LCD screen. Even using the instruction book as a guide is so easy to understand. Just as TinkerQuilts said, I bought 2 Anita Goodesign DVD's that I transferred to a USB stick and used in the machine. It also come with a USB cord so you can use your computer and embroidery machine if you have a find a design online and don't want to put it on a USB stick. You can quilt a whole quilt top so no matter what machine you purchase, make sure it comes with the largest hoop there is. I test drove a few models before I made a decision. I was going to buy a Husqvarna Viking Topaz but had a hard time finding good reviews about the Topaz or the Sapphire so I settled on a Babylock and am sooooooo glad I did. Good luck with your decision.

mary quilting 10-22-2012 04:11 PM

I have 4D and you can convert any format I use it for me baby lock (pes) and for my Viking I have used quilt designs on a baby quilt