Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   8 things I would like to thank the Quilting Board for ..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/8-things-i-would-like-thank-quilting-board-t202635.html)

QuiltnLady1 10-08-2012 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA (Post 5571947)
2) For letting me know that about a single hole (stitch) plate for my sewing machine - piecing is so much easier now.

Can some one please share with me what this is? How is it different than the regular plate, I meam what kind of a differnece does it make in piecing? Thanks in advance for the help ladies.

The Janome machines (don't know about other brands) have a single hole stitch plate where the needle can only be placed in the center position. This keeps the machine (and the wide feed dogs) from eating fabric when you are piecing -- especially at the beginning. You can also use a scrap of fabric to start sewing on before you start piecing (these are variously called sew-ons, sew-offs or leaders and enders.

kat13 10-08-2012 09:44 PM

me too, me too!! the list is endless of things I've learned and still want to learn and do thanks to all the ladies
and gents on this site willing to share their ideas and talent. Its so appreciated by be, since I have learned by
reading, and this site and youtube. Thanks to all of you who share your photos and stories!!

gzuslivz 10-08-2012 09:50 PM

I, too, am thankful for the quilting board for all the reasons stated above and specifically one more. When my dear friend, Jan Rutherford's husband passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, so many of you reached out to let her know she was not alone. Such good people here.

Wonnie 10-09-2012 02:59 AM

None of my friends quilt, do not belong to a guild but I can alway go to the quilting board to learn, for advice, to have a laugh, to see beautiful quilts, to follow informative links, to follow tutorials, to blow off steam and to make great friends and, though I've never met you personally, I feel I know you and can depend on you.

karenpatrick 10-09-2012 03:42 AM

I agree with all you listed. If I have a problem, just want to vent, or want to share something, this is the place to be. Thanks for listing.

callen 10-09-2012 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 5570331)
Inspiration to try new things - I never have a shortage of new ideas thanks to all of you.

1) For introducing me to spray basting!
2) For letting me know that about a single hole (stitch) plate for my sewing machine - piecing is so much easier now.
3) That I do not have to iron my binding before sewing it on
4) Tutorials - I have used about 4 of them!
5) Pictures - I am a visual learner and I love having my morning coffee and looking at all our creations
6) The ability to buy and sell - why not support our sister/fella quilters
7) Encouragement and recognition that my personal quilting is not too shabby
8) The ability to help others when they are in need of a block or two, or to know where to find something

It was Canadian Thanksgiving yesterday and I am thankful for all of you!

I couldn't agree more. Since I became a member it has given me so much help & inspiration that it would take me forever to list all my thank yous. I had so much trouble with a quilt I was making when I first joined this Board (I was a newbie then & probably will be for a while yet) & my DH suggested I put it out there on this forum. I had answers from across this fantastic world & they were all so helpful & helped me finish the quilt. Thank you to all & the other thing is I love looking at everyone's wonderful quilts. They are such an inspiration.

stchenfool 10-09-2012 04:16 AM

Love this board - you have made some very good points!

lillybeck 10-09-2012 04:16 AM

Well said carslo. Many times I have said that even though I have been at a machine most of my life, this board has taught me so much.

adnil458 10-09-2012 04:17 AM

And for QB members like you, Carslo, who have blogs where I can roam even more & see more beautiful work, such as your watercolor & Box of Chocates.

lclang 10-09-2012 04:39 AM

I too appreciate the education we get from each other for FREE! Such lovely people, always willing to help and sometimes keep us from making mistakes by being willing to tell us what they did that didn't work as well as all the wonderful suggestions for things that do work. Love the tutorials, pictures, funny stuff, and just general comraderie. Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to make my day!