Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   9 patch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/9-patch-t180657.html)

cminor 02-25-2012 02:08 PM

9 patch

I am working on a simple quilt for my mom and am not sure how to make the 9 patches I have interesting :( They are brown animal prints with a tan that ties them all together. I don't really like the D9P and want to do something that is restfull to the eye. . .any ideas?

I feel bad that I am so completly uninspired with this quilt. It is taking me forever to do anything with it becuase it seems kind of hum drum. She wants simple and netural colors. . .

Jennie and Me 02-25-2012 02:35 PM

Have you seen the 10 minute block that has been posted on this board? That might be the way to go. Just type in "10 minute block" in the search box.

QuiltnNan 02-25-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me (Post 5008109)
Have you seen the 10 minute block that has been posted on this board? That might be the way to go. Just type in "10 minute block" in the search box.

this sounds like a great idea

scrapykate 02-25-2012 03:08 PM

If you already have some 9 patches squares done, would alternate with a solid block the same size as the finished 9p. That breaks up the 9patches and creates an interesting diagonal pattern. good luck

ArtsyOne 02-25-2012 04:11 PM

Have you thought of using the x-block ruler? One of the patterns it's used for is called Venetian Tiles and the blocks start with regular 9-patch squares. Just google Venetian Tile Ruler.

Cybrarian 02-25-2012 04:18 PM

Black sashing might be another possibility.

teddysmom 02-25-2012 04:56 PM

Alternating 9-patch and snowballs make an interesting pattern.

Prism99 02-25-2012 09:49 PM

I would introduce some soft pink to make the browns look richer. This would still be neutral and soft, but would bring some warmth into the palette.

GrannieAnnie 02-26-2012 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by cminor (Post 5008037)
I am working on a simple quilt for my mom and am not sure how to make the 9 patches I have interesting :( They are brown animal prints with a tan that ties them all together. I don't really like the D9P and want to do something that is restfull to the eye. . .any ideas?

I feel bad that I am so completly uninspired with this quilt. It is taking me forever to do anything with it becuase it seems kind of hum drum. She wants simple and netural colors. . .

do you have enough of your fabrics left to make some rail fence blocks to lay out every other one? Or a snowball block? That would add more design to the 9 patches you already have. Or for that matter, you could even use a solid block for every other block.

Another idea, might be to put a small sash both ways.

Kathy T. 02-26-2012 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You could alternate your 9-patches with simple half-square blocks to add a diagonal to the design. This is a scrap one I did for a children's charity that would look great in your color scheme.