Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   About fabric ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-fabric-t228722.html)

quiltsRfun 08-25-2013 01:17 PM

Well said. I agree.

tessagin 08-25-2013 01:24 PM

As long as I like the fabric and can get it at a price I like, I will purchase it. It doesn't have to be a big name brand. Our GGGGRANDMOTHERS used flour and grain sacks and created some of the most beautiful quilts and clothing for their families. I can tell you I've purchased material from the big names and they was no better than the others. do it your way. I do it my way. I don't buy every template either. often make my own.

ghostrider 08-25-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 6254572)
With few exceptions, in my area anyway, there are no longer boutique stores that cater to the obliged. We live in the era of chain stores, further shackled by what they choose to buy, forcing us to either choose, make our own, or move to a nudist colony.

Well, there are plenty of boutiques, independent businesses, small shops, mom and pop operations, and other wonderful non-chain stores of all types up here in the central reaches of New Hampshire that do not cater to "the obliged" (noblesse oblige?) at all. Indeed, they cater to any and all of us 'just plain regular folk' who cross their threshholds to explore the wonders held within, be it fabric, clothes, prescriptions, or bread, offered at very reasonable prices.

I agree, choose where and what you buy based on your personal circumstances and preferences, but for me, I will always choose the little local guy over the mega-giant. Always. But then, I'm lucky enough to live in a Hallmark movie kind of place. :o

peaceandjoy 08-25-2013 02:32 PM

I miss So-Fro!

Locally, our WM's still do not carry decent fabric. Some of what is at JoAnn's is better. Over-priced without a coupon, which is of course, the plan.

I think the variations in what WM carries depends on local competition. We have a LOT of stores in the Finger Lakes/Central/Western NY area. Not really close to each other, but in any given direction, I could be at a store in under an hour. Plus a couple of Mennonite stores, not fancy, not decorated, but prices can't be beat for LQS name brands. So it isn't to WM's benefit to offer much.

Regardless, why judge? I don't care what somebody else uses. I know what I want to use, and what I can afford, so that's what I get to decide on.

bizzibee 08-25-2013 07:33 PM

Butterfli you are quite right. I found this truth out a number of years ago when I was shopping for rugs. I went to Kohls and found one that I really liked but the price was way too much (even on "sale") so I went to Walmart. I found the exact same rug for less than Kohl's inflated "sale" price.

BETTY62 08-25-2013 08:00 PM

If I like how a fabric looks and feels and the cost is within my budget, I'm a happy camper.

KwiltyKahy 08-26-2013 04:20 AM

I miss So Fro, that was my favorite. JoAnn's bought So Fro and Micheal's bought Lee Wards and I miss them both.

SherriB 08-26-2013 05:19 AM

I loved our Sew Fro store and missed it when it left. And I wish our Ben Franklin would have a sale like that one! I would take off work just to go to it. LOL!!!

quilter68 08-27-2013 04:34 AM

I do not have a Ben Franklins' anymore but did find one on line. They are not on-line shops but did send an embroidery kit to me. I bought fabric from Ben's on Oahu and it is some of my best fabric. I made a beautiful quilt for my grand daughter from this fabric. I will ask her to take a photo as she is now 22.
I am in Ben's original territory - near Philadelphia. You are lucky to have a five and dime near you.

tkee 08-27-2013 04:53 AM

A soul sister! I totally agree.