Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   about using old blankets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-using-old-blankets-t23861.html)

elsie_old 08-07-2009 08:25 AM

several yrs ago in wal-mart i ran into a woman said she use old blankets for batting did anyone else ever do this and i know my granddaughter step mom show her how to use fleece blanket for batting like too hear what other think on this subject

imjustme 08-07-2009 10:18 AM

My Ex's mother and grandmother did that, but it was new blankets. They rather use that then the batting.

STAR 08-07-2009 10:40 AM

my grandma did, finances :oops: . but she would use new or barely used ones. I think they were the $5 ones that you can find during the winter months. I actually have a quilt that she never got to finish for me that has thie old blanket as batting.

Cathe 08-07-2009 11:14 AM

Many years ago, I bought one of those cheap blankets and used it for batting. I machine quilted it. It SHRUNK terribly. It was unusable. I actually picked out every bit of the quilting because I wanted to save the top.

It would probably be fine with an old, well-washed blanket.

But you know... poly batting is pretty cheap. I don't think I will take the risk again.

Elsie 08-07-2009 11:54 AM

ty for your comment it is interesting on what other think and do

Dodie 08-07-2009 02:55 PM

when I first started quilting in the 1980's I made a lap quilt and I used an old mattress pad from a garage sale for a quilt batting we still use it in our camper but it made a very soft cuddly quilt never did try a blanket though but would not worry if washed first oh yes I do have an antique double wedding ring quilt hand quilted and whoever did it used a blanket
Dodie

patricej 08-07-2009 03:36 PM

the $5 blankets (twin size) from WalMart (affectionately known by some as The Evil Empire :lol: ) are a great alternative to batting as long as you wash them first and dry them on high heat. they feel and behave much better than regular polyester batting. the only drawback is that basting spray works no better on them that it does on poly batting.

MollieSue 08-07-2009 03:42 PM

I never thought of using mattress pads or blankets! Thanks! I'm having to do five quilts (almost have two tops done so far :D ) by the end of August/beginning of Sept. So am really looking for something cheaper than batting to use!
Thanks for the ideas!! :D

oksewglad 08-07-2009 05:57 PM

I've also used old blankets in quilts, but they are utilitarian type--usually sewn with denim and tied--used for dorm rooms, cars, picnics etc. Old mattress pads work well in denim baby quilts as well. If I spend the time to use new high quality fabric I want to use a good batting as well.

redrummy 08-07-2009 08:16 PM

I use blankets , they are easier to smooth out, and hold the shape. I agree, I wash, dry to pre-shrink, don't want to put that work into it and have it ruined. I actually like quilting thru them better than the batting. I guess it is because I am used to it.